Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riaa Going Crazy

RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant, Only For Original Vehicle Owner!!!!

The Recording Industry Association of America announced today it would be expanding its crackdown on copyright infringement by suing family members, hitchhikers and carpoolers.

Lawyers for the RIAA maintain that the radio in each car was never meant to be listened to by anyone else except the original owner of the vehicle.

Therefore, any additional passengers who listen to music on the radio in another individual's car are doing so illegally and without the express permission of the copyright holders of the respective songs that are broadcast.

RIAA attorneys were preparing to go to Federal District courts across the country to have subpoenas issued to every car maker in America in the hopes of forcing them to disclose the names and addresses of all purchasers from the last 20 years.

SOURCE

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    WTF? I think they're mentally retarded...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    If you read the article, it says clearly at both top and bottom that it is a SATIRE! The RIAA could not possibly do this.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Very funny !! I love satire !!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    This satire is probably loosely based on 2 true stories from Finland:
    Finland's Supreme Court has ruled taxi drivers must pay royalty fees if they play music in their car while a customer is in the backseat. The order even applies to the radio.

A case, based on one driver's refusal to pay, is likely to set a precedent for the 9,500 cab drivers in the country.

Under the ruling, a cab driver in Finland must pay £14 annually for playing music while transporting a fare.

Lauri Luotonen, chairman of the Helsinki Taxi Drivers' Association, says the ruling is likely to force most drivers to keep their radios off.

Recently, two Finnish churches refused to pay royalties to the country's copyright society for the performance of Christmas hymns. The congregations won their case in a district court, but the society has appealed.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    That is so ridiculous, it's terrible that things like that are happening. The radio already paid for the songs so why does the driver have to pay again?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Restraunts can no longer play the radio for customers nor can businesses let their employees listen to the radio (over company equipment at least&#33 without paying royalties and/or broadcast fees here in the USA.

If it gets ANY more ridiculous, such laws may be thrown out in general.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Pathetic

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    For a minute, I nearly shitted my pants until I found out it was a satire.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Blank Space@6 February 2004 - 19:52
    For a minute, I nearly shitted my pants until I found out it was a satire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast