Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Users

BANNED
    Ok - I'm getting RedHat9 and hopefully I'll finish today with the 3cds. My question doesn't regard the installation, but another thing (bleh it does involve installation, I'll ask both and shut up already )

1. When in the installation does it give you the option to create a Linux boot diskette so that it doesn't install GRUB (or LILO....can't remember which one comes with RedHat) and mess with my Master Boot Record and I can create a diskette for this matter?

2. If I want 2 diskettes for this matter, can I copy them through Windows? If not, how can I copy them through RH9?

Thanks, I'll be back in like 8 hours

B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED

Lol I didn't check THAT thread yesterday

Thanks for your answer,

PS: I got RH9 already....about to burn and then install

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by DWk@29 January 2004 - 16:39

Lol I didn't check THAT thread yesterday

Thanks for your answer,

PS: I got RH9 already....about to burn and then install
    Oh no

Not more coasters

Just kiddin, it should burn ok.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Well don't worry.... I'm making a nice 10-piece coaster collection anyway

By the way.... about my other question:

Can I copy the linux boot diskette under windows (xp) to another diskette...just to make a backup?

I'm about to burn and install B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you should be able to do that. i think.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by DWk@29 January 2004 - 17:01
    Well don't worry.... I'm making a nice 10-piece coaster collection anyway

By the way.... about my other question:

Can I copy the linux boot diskette under windows (xp) to another diskette...just to make a backup?

I'm about to burn and install  B)
    Yes, youll need rawite http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm for windows to write the xxx.img file to a floppy.

But youll need to already have a copy of your kernel image

Just go ahead and install and in the in post install process you will be asked to make a boot disk right before installation is over.

Now here is the thing..............once you install red hat 9 you must update your system. Well you do not have to but pardon me you would be a fool not to. And I know how smart you are so your probably gonna want to update

The rhn (red hat network) provides that service for free like they always have.............for now

But, when "you" install your red hat 9 and try to use rhn you will have problems.........good thing ol shn knew that in advance ehh Yep, you will have an ssl connection error when you launch up2date thats because the ssl certs used by the up2date system expired a long time ago last year. So go here https://rhn.redhat.com/help/latest-up2date.pxt and install the updated up2date packages the exact way the tell you two. You must install both rpms at the same time if your trying to install the up2date-gnome rpm as well and I would do it in gnome from a terminal if I were you.

What does this have to do with your kernel boot floppy or whatever?

Simple...........you will need to upgrade your kernel and in up2date you have to deselect the option that says skip kernel packages because the updated kernel is better and if you up2date to download updates without deselecting that option it will skip the kernel package and the kernel source package.............you need both of thoose so make sure you get em.

Once it has downloaded all updates and packages it will tell you that you should reboot because you will be in your old kernel. So you need to make a boot disk right away of your new kernel. Go to the command prompt and type in mkbootdisk -kernel version. If my kernel version is 2.6.1 I do this

mkbootdsik --2.6.1 and it will create it on the floppy drive (/dev/fd0) Now you need to reboot into your new kernel. If you have a boot loader installed you will see two options pick your newest kernel and see if it boots.............it should, you can keep or erase the other boot entry from lilo or grub later.

So right now it does not matter if you create a backup of your bootdsik because the boot disk you will have initially will be of no use since it will be an outdated kernel and not good to use.

After your new system is setup you can go into windows and make a copy of your "new" bootdisk with rawrite like I said above.

Sorry its long but you must understand if you do not want to be having additional unecessary complications.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Hmmm..... well yea I guess I know what you mean. However, first cd became a coaster

Lol. I might think my burner is funky or at least its drivers.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Again

Well try a network install then.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    What's a network install?

Oh yea I'm a nub no doubt about that

EDIT - nevermind about the network install thing... just read the other thread. Ok, so how do I check if my images were downloaded correctly (and burned correctly....)?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast