Thread: Course Selections

kAb's Avatar Poster
    *in dr. nick's voice from simpsons* Hi everybody!

I'm selecting courses for my junior year in h.s., and I need some advice.

In my spanish 2 class, we have not even STARTED learning spanish 2 level stuff, we are still reviewing, I think this is going to hurt me mucho if I enter spanish 3 next year knowing barely any spanish 2 stuff.

There are a couple options:

1. My mom suggested taking german 1, i'm half german and almost all my relatives speak it fluently including my mom and dad.
    Pro - I can get experience in a different language.
    Con - Colleges might not like it, and I might not continue it into senior year.

2. Take spanish two again with a different teacher
    Pro - I'll become much better at spanish than failing and not understanding spanish 3
    Con - I don't think Colleges would like seeing a class repeated.

So, what is your guys' experience with colleges. Do they care if you switch languages, retake a language class, or would they rather you move on and get a worse grade?

3 year language is obviously a big +, should I go with trying out german, or retake spanish 2, or go on to spanish 3.

I'm definetly leaning towards learning german (the only reason i took spanish (which i hate now cause of my dumb teacher) was because I live in california where the language might surpass english in speakers).

All input would be great guys

Btw: other classes i'm taking

English 3 (required)
    U.S. History (required)
    Pre-Calculus
    Language (Not sure which right now)
    Computer Programming
    Physics

2. Lounge   -   #2
    BANNED
    Spanish all the way

3. Lounge   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    french.... i mean spanish, my bad.

damn canadian bias of mine

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    h1
    You should take Spanish 3 and try to stick it through, because if you start taking German now you will finish only 2 years and you might not be able to graduate (three years of a language is a requirement in the BX). Just drop Spanish after Level 3.

And pre-calc and physics in junior year? Dude, are you in honors or something?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by haxor41789@29 January 2004 - 22:55
    You should take Spanish 3 and try to stick it through, because if you start taking German now you will finish only 2 years and you might not be able to graduate (three years of a language is a requirement in the BX). Just drop Spanish after Level 3.

And pre-calc and physics in junior year? Dude, are you in honors or something?
    in my school only 2 years is required for language so i've fufilled the requirements. any extra years i now take is for college and personal gain.

No i'm not in honors, i just like math.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Take Japanese thats what I'm doin
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!