Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming, Witch Processor?

Ok i was wounder witch is better for gaming, Athlon XP 2500 (well 3500) or Pentium 4 3.x+?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    This might lead to some intense debate, so I'll jump in straight away with no personal opinion expressed and post this comparison.
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Haven't read it yet, but thats a dam small mobo.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 03:12
    Haven't read it yet, but thats a dam small mobo.
    It was conceived/built < 1994
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I can&#39;t believe XP runs on it, thats amazing.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    They are both equally good.
    The slight advantages balance out, so dont worry.
    I dont fight anyone. i tell the truth.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I don&#39;t know much about prcessors, but HL2 needs 800MHz but AMD&#39;s best goes to 400MHz. Is there a differance between how AMD and Intel determine things?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 05:30
    I don&#39;t know much about prcessors, but HL2 needs 800MHz but AMD&#39;s best goes to 400MHz. Is there a differance between how AMD and Intel determine things?
    I think you may be confusing a few things here. You say that the maximum clock speed on AMD CPU&#39;s is 400MHz, however, what I think you mean (and correct me if I&#39;m horribly wrong) is that 400MHz is the highest FSB (Front Side Bus) speed on the AMD processors. The fastest AMD CPU&#39;s are approximately 2.2GHz, whereas the fastest Intel CPU&#39;s are 3+GHz. However, due to differences in the design philisophy between AMD and Intel, the AMD processors can keep up with the Intel&#39;s even when running at a lower clock speed. The moral of the story is that the clock speed of a processor is useful as a rule of thumb, however, it&#39;s not the the single-most important figure to be used when comparing processors. Did you read the article I linked to in my first post?
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks 4th gen, i am trying to set up a computer in my price range. I am going with this AMD

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...tion=19-103-379

Or a Intel P4 2.8 w/ HT

Would the AMD be a better choice? Also can i play Half Life 2 on it?

EDIT: Read it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 05:39
    Thanks 4th gen, i am trying to set up a computer in my price range. I am going with this AMD

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...tion=19-103-379

Or a Intel P4 2.8 w/ HT

Would the AMD be a better choice? Also can i play Half Life 2 on it?
    The 2500+ Barton is a very good processor indeed. If you were to run both CPU&#39;s at stock speeds (the AMD 2500+ and P4 2.8HT) then the P4 should &#39;win&#39; i.e. run games and apps faster. However, if you are planning to overclock, you should be able to get better performance from an overclocked 2500+ Barton than an overclocked 2.8GHz P4 (working on the assumption that the 2500+ is more overclockable than the P4). It&#39;s hard (if not impossible) to say which is better, AMD 2500+ or P4 2.8GHz. In the end, it&#39;s your choice, so you should take a look at some comparisons, read some background info and make an educated choice based on this.

Depending on the rest of the system spec (e.g Video Card, RAM) then both the 2500+ and P4 2.8Ghz should easily be capable of playing HL2.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast