Thread: Trojan Scanner

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Being kind of security-minded, I've been reading alot about trojans, etc., that my firewall is supposed to protect my PC from.
    I'm aware that anything we do is basically shoveling shit against the tide; we keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best, but I still obsess about the bad stuff-
    My question: What's the latest on trojan scanners, freeware-wise?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    TDS-3 is the best in my opinion.(It's not freeware,but shareware;try it and see if you want to buy it).
    You can download it from Wilders.org (if your into security you probaly know this site....if not check it out)
    I also use WormGuard and Port Explorer by the same company DiamondCS.

WormGuard genericaly analyses files using heuristic rule-sets,instead of
    relying on known signatures of worms.
    So you don't have to worry about updating virus definitions(like with Norton)

It detects all worms in all executed files and filetypes making sure the file is safe before its allowed to run.(instead of after it's run ,like most anti-virus
    programs.)

I hope I have been some help.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Thank you, my brother-
    I will check the website; I've read that systems that rely entirely on heuristics are usually "one step behind" as their content stems from programming responses to successful viruses-thus the need for updates. Am I mis-understanding something?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain