Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nero Speed Problem

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I've had this strange problem with Nero for some time now and I was wondering if anyone could offer a solution. I have a 52x burner and my CD-R's are rated at 48x. I have no trouble at all burning video and data CD's at 52x, but when I try to burn an audio CD at that speed it always fails. If I check the box that says "Determine Maximum Speed" it says it can only burn at 16x! Why would that be? Does it take longer to read mp3's from the hard drive than other files? My hard drive is 7200 rpm, and I always keep it defragged, so why does Nero have trouble reading mp3's from it? I'm not sure but I think this only started when I upgraded from Win98 to XP. I also tried upgrading from Nero 5.5 to 6, but both versions had this problem. Any ideas?

I'd also like to know at what speed everyone else burns their audio CD's.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Have you tried different brand cd's?

Are these the same CD's you burn data in?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well, the ones I have right now are Memorex which I think are a good brand. But like I said, it's been doing this for a long time now and I've used many different brands since I got this burner over a year ago. I'll have to wait till this 100 pack runs out (which will be soon), then try it with whatever kind I get next, but I'm pretty sure the results will be the same.

Maybe my 550 mHz P3 is too slow. But that still wouldn't explain why it can burn video and data at 52x, but not music.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have 32x CD-Rs, and a 40x Lite-ON Combo drive. No matter what, Nero says the maximum speed I can write is 40, even on 32x CD-Rs. I thought that was a little strange at first, but your situation is definately curious.

You say that this started when you upgraded from 98 to XP. Did you upgrade through windows or do a clean install? If it was a clean install, then I don't know what it could be. Do you have Service Pack 1?

Have you tried maybe a firmware upgrade? Going to the developers site. Maybe there's a new driver or something that may fix the problem.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Try converting the mp3&#39;s to wav&#39;s before you burn them (with something like dbpoweramp).
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So far I have determined that it&#39;s not a problem with my burner or the discs, by using alternates and getting the same results.

Xero Grid, I upgraded from 98 to XP rather than a clean install but I don&#39;t know why that would be a problem. I&#39;ve tweaked and cleaned my system, and when I test my hard drive&#39;s read speed in Nero&#39;s preferences I get the same numbers I got with 98. Everything else on my PC runs as fast now, if not faster than it did before - except for this one problem with Nero, and that&#39;s only with audio CD&#39;s.

4th gen, I used to have to convert mp3&#39;s to wav&#39;s many years ago when I had Easy CD Creator 3 and a lousy 2x burner, and I have no desire to go back there again.

Something is causing a lag when Nero reads mp3&#39;s and I&#39;d like to know what the problem is. I can actually see it pause for a few seconds as it reads each individual file. Here are some log files if anyone can make sense out of them...

Audio Log - 24x

Data Log - 1003.4x

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I can&#39;t think of a damn thing. The logs look fine and your configuration looks fine. There should be nothing wrong.

have you tried this only when writing? Or have you tried performing just a speed test and simulations?

I saw that you were using Nero 6.3.0.0. Try upgrading to 6.3.0.2. There are significant upgrades. Personally, I don&#39;t think it&#39;ll help, but it couldn&#39;t hurt.

This shouldn&#39;t make a difference, but Do you have a valid ASPI Layer?
    Check with this
    ASPICHK

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I think you may be onto something with the ASPI check. It says ASPI is not properly installed. Here are the results...

LOG0143: *****************************************************************
    LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Tue Feb 03 16:42:59 2004
    ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.01.2600)
    UPGRADE1004: c:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 16:06:00, 45056 bytes.
    UPGRADE1062: c:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021
    UPGRADE1004: c:&#092;windows&#092;system&#092;winaspi.dll dated 12/10/2001 21:32:22, 4455 bytes.
    UPGRADE1101: Unable to get c:&#092;windows&#092;system&#092;winaspi.dll version info size 0x00000714
    UPGRADE0965: File c:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;aspi32.sys does not exist
    UPGRADE0369: No existing file to compare, upgrade recommended
    UPGRADE0965: File c:&#092;windows&#092;system&#092;wowpost.exe does not exist
    UPGRADE0369: No existing file to compare, upgrade recommended
    ASPICHK0522: Inconsistent version numbers among components
    ASPICHK0592: ASPI installation has problems
    LOG0218: Closing installer log on Tue Feb 03 16:42:59 2004
    LOG0219: *****************************************************************

So how do I fix it?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I&#39;m gonna post something for you. Gimme a sec....

--- EDIT---
    Okay, here ya go.
    ForceASPI 1.7

This is something I found a while ago and I don&#39;t remember where I got it, so I put it on a file hosting site.

Now, with this you can check the current ASPI Layer, back it up or saftely get rid of the one you have, and install the most compatable one to come out (V 4.6).

It comes with all the documentation you need in one self-extractor.

-- Xero Grid --

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well, that fixed the error in ASPI Check - but not the speed problem.

Any other ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast