Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Of Kl In Univ Netwk

Hi,
    good and inromative forum, thnx for all the helps, tips.

question:
    using kl in large univ. netw. with zone alarm in stealth mode with wlan connection,
    what can be discovered on me. esp. that the wlan pass is similar one (&#33 for all the users.
    they can see the address of the wlan card, and probably the name of the machine, what i change frequently.
    i dl pr** and naturally would not like to be harmed.

thnx in advance

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BANNED
    the university can get what ever info they want from you

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    OK, let's make it clear:

given a large univ netw, thousands of users. users with their ordinary mail pswd can login to a site where they can get the common, single pswd for the wlan netw. hundreds can check that daily and the pswd is not changing for months.

then, there is my comp. given with zone alarm on highest alert. on most online check the test were not able to reveal even the name of the comp. sometimes they could check the opsys version. that was all.

then i do not behave particularly wrong: mainly using kazaa.

what can be revealed then? (except they can come and get me, but i do not really believe in that.)

(this letter was written from somewh else, the ip is not the one i discuss.)

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    BANNED
    you firewall has nothing to do with your admins firewall and they can easily see your bandwidth and what is going on

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Yes, u are right. They see at least the filenames and sizes i suppose. And? The question is, that _who_ is going on. What do they see from that?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by atv@2 February 2004 - 07:31
    Yes, u are right. They see at least the filenames and sizes i suppose. And? The question is, that _who_ is going on. What do they see from that?
    they see your ip and what your ip does

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    and what is my ip in a wlan system: i think it is randomly given. It is not something connected to a certain pc, it is connected to a connection, isn't it?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    ok boss it sounds like you have already made up your mind that you are safe and i'm not getting anywhere, so good luck

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by atv@2 February 2004 - 09:02
    and what is my ip in a wlan system: i think it is randomly given. It is not something connected to a certain pc, it is connected to a connection, isn't it?
    Yes, the university may randomly assign your ip address. But they still know what it is!

And if you're generating 100+ KB/sec internet activities 24/7, they can EASILY spot that using simple administrative tools.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    yes, they def.ly know what's are the files.
    but unfort.ly i can not generate 24/7 activity, it is rather occasional in this wlan-system.
    anybody with experience or enough knowledge on systems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast