Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Fire Walls?

With Kazaa I can achieve around 7-800kb/s with win98 (with a total of about 40-45 threads, 20-30 downloads) on an 8Mb/s ADSL, but with Emule I could only achieve around 80kb/s at best. BIG difference. Does my firewall have anything to do with this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Yerk...

Sorry Lotus, I'm a newb', can't help you...

I tried Shield's UP' test, too, with the Pc-Cillin Firewall I use (got it with my mobo)... ANd I badly FAILED. I had no idea that my comp was so...hum... welcoming.

So, I've just downloaded Sygate Personnal Firewall (after reading many posts here advising it)- the free version.

I'm running it right now, and I really see the difference ; much more powerful, more features, and definitely safer. Of course, it passed Shield's UP' test :
    100% stealth.

Well... that made my choice : I keep SPF and disable PC-Cillin Firewall - I still use its antivirus, though, unless you guys think I should now try a good free AV

Anyway, tI'm glad i read this thread; thx for the link samuraï...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by lotus7@2 February 2004 - 18:13
    With Kazaa I can achieve around 7-800kb/s with win98 (with a total of about 40-45 threads, 20-30 downloads) on an 8Mb/s ADSL, but with Emule I could only achieve around 80kb/s at best. BIG difference. Does my firewall have anything to do with this?
    Its the way emule was coded. It downloads files a lot differently than kazaa. It gets the file in chunks or something...............I forget, but I really dont use emule unless I really need something I cant find on any other p2p network beause it can be really slow no matter how fast your connect is.

The way kazaa downloads files suits me just fine................I dont know why emule thinks it does it any better. As long as you get it and its not corrupt I dont see the harm in getting the file faster.

Bittorent I love but its kinda hard to find good torrent sites nowadays

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    BANNED
    @shn if you have a lot of files to share try overnet its pretty good speed if you are sharing.

@Samurai with a router for overnet ,edonkey and i belive emule you still need to get kanat and a hard firewall like a router is the best firewall, you just have to learn how to work with it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by Mad Cat+2 February 2004 - 17:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 2 February 2004 - 17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@2 February 2004 - 20:59
    Software firewalls are a hassle. Why go through that when you can shell out 50 or 60 bucks and get a REAL firewall.............................. a router. Just set it and forget it &nbsp; and you dont get thoose nagging alert messages everytime something tries to access something else on your pc.
    I&#39;ve heard oh so many bad things about routers.

Especially with people that can&#39;t set them up properly. Port fowarding etc etc... [/b][/quote]
    me and this other dude wrote guides bout port forwarding on a router in the bt tips section. btw, y is no one using zonealarm anymore? wat up?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I stopped using Zone Alarm Pro about 18 months ago when I found it was conflicting with several programs, including my games.

Since I&#39;ve been using Sygate Pro, I&#39;ve stopped all unauthorised traffic including Denial Of Service attacks.

lotus7 - When ports are in stealth mode, they can&#39;t be seen by anyone trying to hack into your system. Most older firewalls and some of today&#39;s only seem to close them, but this is one of the worst things possible. If a hacker finds a closed port, but not in stealth, it&#39;s like an open invitation. Kazaa and many other programs only open the port when they&#39;re in use, and even then, no other program will be allowed use of the port unless permission is given.

jobauer - I haven&#39;t used PC Cillin, but my best friend has. He&#39;s said it&#39;s an average AV, but there&#39;s much better around. Try Norton SystemWorks 2004. I&#39;ve been using SystemWorks for the last 3 years and it&#39;s working fine for me. Contains AV, CleanSweep, WinDoctor, Speed Disk, System Doctor etc...

MUSLEMAN - I&#39;m fine with setting up the router, and most other hardware / software problems. The settings are fine in my port forwarding, and they have definately been saved. It just will not allow me to connect to eMule or any other p2p client. However, websites seem to work fine (default port 80). BUT I do not wish to change my p2p clients to forward via port 80 as I&#39;ve heard that&#39;s a big no-no.

abu_has_the_power - I already know how to port forward abu, but I&#39;m always open to suggestions, including reading guides, if I might have missed something. Maybe you can answer this question... does my Linksys router have a built in tool to prevent certain ports being opened (for example 6499 & 6500). I can use eMule and WinMX fine using this ports without the router, but not with, and both are set up fine in my diagnostic page. Whatever the outcome, I want to use my p2p clients with a port that is NOT i use. I did open a site which stated all of them from 1 to 10,000. Majority are in use or have been allocated for that particular program.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Samurai, Thanks. So simply; a closed port can still be intruded upon?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Yes Unfortunately

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Muscleman; ta, I&#39;m off to do your recommended reading now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast