Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Networking Question

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by Smurfette@3 February 2004 - 05:18
    Run the network setup wizard and give the same workgroup name for both machines. That's the easiest way to do it.
    Network wizard didnt work either..

It has 2 choices about how the computer connects...either my computer is the main one and he connects or vis versa..but its niether. the modem goes to the router then the router goes to mine and his computer...theres no main computer that the other computer connects to.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@2 February 2004 - 23:52
    Ok, I have my modem hooked up to my router, and my router hooked up to my brother and mines computer. Is that a network or what? Its connected with ethernet of course, but is there any way for me to be able to send him files directly through ethernet or do i need a program to network it?

On the computers at school when you click on my computer it shows like HDDs from all the comps..I want to be able to see the other computers HDD.
    BigDawg, Try this,
    go to start button, click on settings
    click on network connections
    click on setup a home or small office network...
    this will start Network setup Wizard

Go back and review what Livy was telling you
    #1 both pc's need to be in same workgroup

#2 both pc's need different names (like bigdawg and little bro)

#3 you need to go to each pc and from each pc allow sharing
    if successful you will see a (icon)hand under drive you select
    both drives need to be shared for playing each other in games.

after you have done this
    Go back to desktop (or explorer) and click on My Network Places
    and you should see both on a list...and when you click on either you should "see"
    what is on that drive. note if you get a message that you can't connect, it usually
    is because it "sharing" has not been enabled.

LIVY has it right in his posts to you, take your time,your almost there.
    let us know how you make out.

I forgot to ask...check that both pc can access the internet, that will mean that
    your pc's are talking to the router...and all that is needed is for your pc's to
    agree to talk---by knowing each others name.

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+3 February 2004 - 14:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 3 February 2004 - 14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@3 February 2004 - 05:18
    Run the network setup wizard and give the same workgroup name for both machines. That&#39;s the easiest way to do it.
    Network wizard didnt work either..

It has 2 choices about how the computer connects...either my computer is the main one and he connects or vis versa..but its niether. the modem goes to the router then the router goes to mine and his computer...theres no main computer that the other computer connects to. [/b][/quote]
    IIRC there&#39;s a third option ("neither of these"?) that, if you select it, will take you to another screen with different setups. I have the same setup and this is the way I normally do it, as it&#39;s quick n easy.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12