Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 Or Linux: Red Hat?

My friend has a four year old, 500 MHz PC with 10 GB hard drive. He wants to use it for internet. He still has Windows 98 and it crashes pretty often. He has the installation disks for Linux: Red Hat but, having never used linux, he's afraid to try it and says he will stick to windows. I have only bairly used linux myself and that was debian--is red hat pretty easy, comparable to windows? Should he use red hat or stick with shitty old windows 98? Or should he do something else? Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by mutha trucka@3 February 2004 - 00:44
    My friend has a four year old, 500 MHz PC with 10 GB hard drive. He wants to use it for internet. He still has Windows 98 and it crashes pretty often. He has the installation disks for Linux: Red Hat but, having never used linux, he's afraid to try it and says he will stick to windows. I have only bairly used linux myself and that was debian--is red hat pretty easy, comparable to windows? Should he use red hat or stick with shitty old windows 98? Or should he do something else? Thanks.
    upgrade the pc to windows 2000.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Red Hat is actually really easy, but just go with Windows 2000. If the comp can handle 98, then it can definately handle 2000 (or Linux without question).
    You can even try XP, but you need to tweak it a bit and take some of the crap off it, but it may not be worth it.

shn's got the right idea.

BTW, if you're curious about linux, DONT install it. There's no need anymore.
    SLAX
    This isn't Red Hat, but it's still linux, and it runs off the disk. You can check it out. It's small enough to run off a mini-CD! It originally started with the Slackware Distro.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Linux is not too difficult to use, BUT installing EXTRA software, and who doesn&#39;t want or need to do that, is (or was for me) a virtual nightmare&#33; If he is afraid of trying it in the first place, he should stick to some version of windows and all its user friendly features.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    2000 will run good on that machine, i had a amd k6-2 50 with 256mb ram and it ran great, win98 ran crap on it, was usntable, and got bogged down afr tp easy, since i put 2000 on it, it has been fine,

one down side is that startup times will be a little longer, but it wirth it for the stability.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cool, thanks. I&#39;ll try to get him a copy of windows 2000.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by mutha trucka@3 February 2004 - 16:27
    u can get win 2000 with sp4 integrated of emule.

Windows 2000 SP4 Integrated

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by shn+3 February 2004 - 01:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 3 February 2004 - 01:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mutha trucka@3 February 2004 - 00:44
    My friend has a four year old, 500 MHz PC with 10 GB hard drive.&nbsp; He wants to use it for internet.&nbsp; He still has Windows 98 and it crashes pretty often.&nbsp; He has the installation disks for Linux: Red Hat but, having never used linux, he&#39;s afraid to try it and says he will stick to windows.&nbsp; I have only bairly used linux myself and that was debian--is red hat pretty easy, comparable to windows?&nbsp; Should he use red hat or stick with shitty old windows 98?&nbsp; Or should he do something else?&nbsp; Thanks.
    upgrade the pc to windows 2000. [/b][/quote]
    agreed

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Filesharinghelp.com
    Originally posted by Livy+3 February 2004 - 16:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 3 February 2004 - 16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mutha trucka@3 February 2004 - 16:27
    Cool, thanks.&nbsp; I&#39;ll try to get him a copy of windows 2000.

Windows 2000 SP4 Integrated [/b][/quote]
    i wouldnt get sp4, it messes up, i would get sp3 B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by Lite+3 February 2004 - 16:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lite @ 3 February 2004 - 16:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Livy@3 February 2004 - 16:30
    <!--QuoteBegin-mutha trucka
    @3 February 2004 - 16:27

Windows 2000 SP4 Integrated
    i wouldnt get sp4, it messes up, i would get sp3 B) [/b][/quote]
    i heard that too, but i never had anyprobs with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast