Thread: Slow Downloads On My Wireless Laptop

I just got a laptop and a wireless card.. and my overall download speeds at school are pretty good--but my kazaa download speeds are total shit.. usually 56k modem speed. I can't figure out what it is--but I know that it is on my end, because I have downloaded from multiple people who have told me they are on cable or DSL but my connection is still slow.

I used to use kazaa on my old system with no problems, and one new aspect i've noticed, is the fact that I now download from multiple people at the same time... usually like .38kb/s here, and .83kb/s there. Whereas before, it was just 60 kb/s

Any thoughts on why this may be?

Thanks..

please email [email protected] or post on this forum

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    OK, Im guessing you have the other end of the wireless NW connected to a ADSL line or stg...cos if u only have a 56 K modem, then you wouldn't be complaining?

anyway, make sure the wireless connection is all configured right. check using a network crossover cable, if u can. This will tell you if its the wireless bit. Personally, don't really like em, cos they are still slower than standard NW connections. When they get faster, i may invest.

apart from that, have you checked your Laptop setup?

Anyway, check with a cable and let us know
    <insert signature here>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    "OK, Im guessing you have the other end of the wireless NW connected to a ADSL line or stg...cos if u only have a 56 K modem, then you wouldn&#39;t be complaining?

anyway, make sure the wireless connection is all configured right. check using a network crossover cable, if u can. This will tell you if its the wireless bit. Personally, don&#39;t really like em, cos they are still slower than standard NW connections. When they get faster, i may invest.

apart from that, have you checked your Laptop setup?

Anyway, check with a cable and let us know "

I&#39;m on my university connection...which is pretty uber... I can download files from say, my brothers&#39; FTP site... pretty fast. It&#39;s only kazaa that is slow. I can&#39;t check the connnection using a cable until I get road runner (cable) this friday... so hopefullly, that will be it..

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    OK, yeah sorry...didn&#39;t read it properly.

its worthwhile (anonymously) checking that your uni doesn&#39;t throttle the port Kazaa uses...1214 I think, off the top of my head. They may restrict this, in order to reduce people like you slowing all their servers and stuff down, mainly to allow a lot of bandwidth for people doing work and stuff....(don&#39;t know why they&#39;d want to though )

Anyway, look through tips section, if this is the case, and theres some stuff about how to get around it...if u can&#39;t find it let us know, we&#39;ll help to hunt it out.

Make sure you do it anonymously, just in case...you never know
    <insert signature here>

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Catlonia@3 March 2003 - 17:44
    I just got a laptop and a wireless card.. and my overall download speeds at school are pretty good--but my kazaa download speeds are total shit.. usually 56k modem speed.&nbsp; I can&#39;t figure out what it is--but I know that it is on my end, because I have downloaded from multiple people who have told me they are on cable or DSL but my connection is still slow.&nbsp;

I used to use kazaa on my old system with no problems, and one new aspect i&#39;ve noticed, is the fact that I now download from multiple people at the same time... usually like .38kb/s here, and .83kb/s there.&nbsp; Whereas before, it was just 60 kb/s

Any thoughts on why this may be?

Thanks..

please email [email protected] or post on this forum
    Hmmm.. I dont use a laptop, but I am curious as to what version of KaZaa your useing.. this could possibly be part of your problem. If your not using the latest version of K-Lite, I would certainly recommend that you do so.. so that you can take advantage of all the new add-on tools, and all of the improvements that have been made. If you are useing the latest version.. I always use Speed Up in combination with the "Auto Search More" and "find more sources for this download" options.. I find a very significant increase in my d/l speeds. Hope this helps.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    A lot of universities have either blocked out Kazaa&#39;s default port (port 1214), pretty much shutting down the program for people who aren&#39;t too technical-minded, or have restricted the use of it so that you&#39;d get horrible speeds. I guess it&#39;s an "encouragement" to not use Kazaa if you only get 0.5kb/sec. :-"

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t