Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting Posts...

ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^@7 March 2003 - 23:08
    I haven't posted many hashes lately because while the Verified were down I became more involved with helping others with their computer problems. Now, consequently, I tend to post more in the 'Main' sections than the 'Verifieds'. I think most of my posts are helpful and relevent, at least to the people who posted their questions. However, my post count is now perpetually stuck at 158 and I will forever be viewed by others as simply a 'Full Member'. Why? I'm not asking for much here, just a little recognition for my contributions to this community.

I know some people have said the titles that come with a higher post count don't really mean anything, but I disagree. Whenever I read a new post, whether it's someone offering computer advice or a verified hash, the first thing I look at is that user's post count and title. I use it as a guage to determine how serious and commited that person is to this board, and I think most other users do that, too. Sure, some people only got their higher status by posting useless garbage, but I don't see how counting posts in some forums and not in others is going to put an end to this spamming problem. Meanwhile, those of us who follow the rules and try to remain on-topic are being punished for the actions of a few bad apples.

It is my hope that the Moderators will consider changing this new and unfair rule.

Thank You.
    You have basically reitterated my point posted in a previous topic. See below (pasted from previous topic)here I have offered several alternatives to use instead of the current system and hopefully one of the admins finds it usefull and tries to apply something similar.

Previous post

ShareDaddy Posted: 5 March 2003 - 14:08

K-Lite Board God

Group: Database Crew
    Member No.: 1176

Over the past 5 months or so this has been a continuing topic. First off FC never lost any posts (one point they were taken away, however same day were back), secondly as it is, is fine, but changing titles may be a thing to discuss. I mean as posts have increased we should have adapted the titles to match. Simply get to a God status and never being able to move from there is not good. Not that the status really matters, but it does lend credibility to one's posts, I mean I would take what a GOD states as factual with far more weight than what a newbie said. Not to say everything said by anyone can be GOSPEL, however you tend to judge a persons post and whether or not you will use their advice on their status, at least I do. I would say grandfather everyone now and make a new set of achievements to reach for varying status names.

0-99 Newbie

100-249 Member

250-499 Full Member

500-999 Senior Member

1000-1499 Board God

1500-1999 Full Board God

2000-2499 Senior Board God

2500-2999 Supreme Board God

3000 and up - Unemployed or Lifeless (just a joke to those who have passed this mark already)

Hopefully you see my point, changing the system to work with a much larger post count than originally thought possible. I mean we could still make changes to all, have everyone switch to what their totals say versus the list above, it would not matter in the long run. But changing the measurement criteria and naming standards would be a cool way to improve what we have, thus making it more usable.

Maybe even a simpler way, start making Board God Levels, I would be considered a Board God Level 1 or something and so on. I sort of like the thought mentioned in a previous post regarding the mods deciding, but then you can have favoritism and or unfair practices being shown. I think adding levels would be an easy and usable solution.

up to 1499 - Board God Level 1

1500-2000 - Board God Level 2

etc.

or

up to 1499 - Level 1 Board God

1500-1999 - Level 2 Board God

and so on.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #122
    ShareDaddy, wouldn't people start to spam more if the rankings were that high?

3000 and up - Unemployed or Lifeless (just a joke to those who have passed this mark already)
    Don't upset Paul.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #123
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    I say give Nightwolf 500 post of mine and the rest can be splint amongst your selfs.My favorite spot is MusicWorld now and the discussion area does not count.Which is fine by me.I just love this galaxy of ours. :beerchug:

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #124
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@8 March 2003 - 00:37
    I say give Nightwolf 500 post of mine and the rest can be splint amongst your selfs.My favorite spot is MusicWorld now and the discussion area does not count.Which is fine by me.I just love this galaxy of ours. :beerchug:
    Awe, shucks FC! We don't want your posts as are's, we simpyl want our's as our's. If the system never existed, that would be one thing, I would not then miss it. But as it stands you get used to something and then POOF it is gone, it just never goes over well. Do you agree with that reasoning at least?

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #125
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by RPerry@7 March 2003 - 23:11
    your post count now says 159, so its not stuck
    Yeah, I guess my posts are more 'valid' in this forum than in certain others.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #126
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I agree with you Nightwolf. I posted a topic here a while ago: "Counting Posts in the Brave New Worlds."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #127
    jetje's Avatar former star
    yes right magic nakor, that's why i merge these topics so everything wabout that will be in one place.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #128
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Keep up the good work Jetje.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #129
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@4 March 2003 - 02:18
    Why not count the posts made in the new forum rooms? Since it seems that most of the posts will now be delegated to their specific rooms, a lot of help and the like will be offered in them as well. Sure..there's off-topic (spam) posts, but there always was before.
    I think you guys worry about posts too much. A lot of the people I see with high number posts seem to post a bunch of small messages. The amount of posts you do doesn't really mean anything. =]

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #130
    it just looks better w/ more stars... ... lolol.... anyways those ppl w/ like thousands of post ::cough cough:the great dude... err i cant remember any other names nooo... theres some one else... o yea funky capricorn... ... darn post whores*)...... joined this forum a while ago....

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast