Thread: Big Problem With Xp

When I turn my computer on I get this message..

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. statis BAD
    Backup and replace
    Press F4 to resume

Before yesterday I could press F4 and window would start up... But now, when I hit F4 it goes to my desk top, but I get an error saying..

App. failed to start because
    IMM32.dll was not found.
    Re-installing may fix this problem

I click on ok, then NOTHING works. I click on any of my short cuts and nolthing happens..

Any ideas on why? or how I can fix it?

Thanks!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by EFJACKIE@3 March 2003 - 20:27
    When I turn my computer on I get this message..

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. statis BAD
    Backup and replace
    Press F4 to resume

Before yesterday I could press F4 and window would start up... But now, when I hit F4 it goes to my desk top, but I get an error saying..

App. failed to start because
    IMM32.dll was not found.
    Re-installing may fix this problem

I click on ok, then NOTHING works. I click on any of my short cuts and nolthing happens..

Any ideas on why? or how I can fix it?

Thanks!!!!
    Isn't the answer obvious? Windows screws up for a variety of reasons, but with XP, you now have an option to "repair" your operating system. Re-run the setup, then give us the results. That should solve the problem.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD
    S.M.A.R.T. is a system for monitoring the health of your hard disc. If the S.M.A.R.T. status is bad then there's probably a problem with your hard drive, which means you might need a new one.

This error might have corrupted the IMM32.dll file, which would be what's screwing up WinXP. Try a system restore and see if that will repair your system files so that WinXP will run. Then run Scandisk and see if there's a problem with your hard disc (it might need a surface scan, in which case be prepared for a long wait).

If the problem is a faulty HDD, you'll need a new one...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    1st off thanks for the info!!

I did a system restore last night (there goes 1500 songs and videos). Now I'm waiting to get a hold of a Windows 98 Floppy from a friend. I hope this will do the trick, if not I guess it's time for a new hard drive, BLAAHHH!!

I learned my lesson though! I'll never store that much stuff without a backup!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I always think the worst, HDD failure. That's why I have a spare HDD in my drawer. I Ghost it every 2-6 weeks. I've been proven right on my own system twice. The infamous Fujitsu HDD. Over 3 million returned worldwide & counting. But they paid the shipping both ways twice. FedEx got the latest one to me in 2 days, which was cool. So they're OK in my book. And I think this HDD does'nt have the bad chip. I hope. Just would'nt buy another Fujitsu. Next time I'd buy a Seagate or a WD w/3yr warr. (now most are 1yr warr.).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You can try to save the data on the disk by putting the disk in an a pc that has a bootable oparating system. Make the defect disk the slave and detect it in the bios.
    Then use a program like ontrack easyrecovery to examine the disk and find the data that's not corrupt. Then you can save this too the other harddrive