Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Einstein: Plagiarist Of The Century

EINSTEIN: PLAGIARIST OF THE CENTURY

Einstein plagiarised the work of several notable scientists in his 1905 papers on special relativity and E = mc2, yet the physics community has never bothered to set the record straight in the past century.

Abstract
    Proponents of Einstein have acted in a way that appears to corrupt the historical record. Albert Einstein (1879&endash;1955), Time Magazine's "Person of the Century", wrote a long treatise on special relativity theory (it was actually called "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies", 1905a), without listing any references. Many of the key ideas it presented were known to Lorentz (for example, the Lorentz transformation) and Poincaré before Einstein wrote the famous 1905 paper.

As was typical of Einstein, he did not discover theories; he merely commandeered them. He took an existing body of knowledge, picked and chose the ideas he liked, then wove them into a tale about his contribution to special relativity. This was done with the full knowledge and consent of many of his peers, such as the editors at Annalen der Physik.

The most recognisable equation of all time is E = mc2. It is attributed by convention to be the sole province of Albert Einstein (1905). However, the conversion of matter into energy and energy into matter was known to Sir Isaac Newton ("Gross bodies and light are convertible into one another...", 1704). The equation can be attributed to S. Tolver Preston (1875), to Jules Henri Poincaré (1900; according to Brown, 1967) and to Olinto De Pretto (1904) before Einstein. Since Einstein never correctly derived E = mc2 (Ives, 1952), there appears nothing to connect the equation with anything original by Einstein.

Arthur Eddington's selective presentation of data from the 1919 Eclipse so that it supposedly supported "Einstein's" general relativity theory is surely one of the biggest scientific hoaxes of the 20th century. His lavish support of Einstein corrupted the course of history. Eddington was less interested in testing a theory than he was in crowning Einstein the king of science.

The physics community, unwittingly perhaps, has engaged in a kind of fraud and silent conspiracy; this is the byproduct of simply being bystanders as the hyperinflation of Einstein's record and reputation took place. This silence benefited anyone supporting Einstein.

SOURCE

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    It's easy to attack people's creditability when there dead

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by junkyardking@4 February 2004 - 08:15
    It's easy to attack people's creditability when there dead
    That's very true.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Should he be posthumously flogged, then?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

Newton said this in a letter to Robert Hooke.

"The Dwarf sees further than the giant, when he has the giants shoulder to mount on"

That would be Coleridge methinks.

Various people have said or written similar things, I think the sentiment is obvious.

Now we know that Einstein would not have been where he was without Newton, who admits himself to having relied on others. Including his contemporaries. We also know that Hawking and the like needed the work of all of the previous greats, in order that they achieve what they did.

Tell you what, we will flog everyone and leave out only those whose thoughts are entirely original and unique, relying on nothing but themselves.

That would leave me, may God have mercy on the rest of you.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster

"no man is an Island, entire of itself." Einstein himself spoke repeatedly in later life of his debt to Lorentz - "the four men who laid the foundation of physics on which I have been able to construct my theory are Galileo, Newton, Maxwell, and Lorentz" he said during a trip to the United States in 1921.

As The Times was later to say of Einstein's General Theory, there is no need to defend his originality. "The genius of Einstein consists in taking up the uninterpreted experiments and scattered suggestions of his predecessors, and welding them into a comprehensive scheme that wins universal admiration by its simplicity and beauty."

Thus from 1902 until 1905 Einstein worked on his own, an outsider of outsiders, scientifically provincial and having few links with the main body of contemporary physics. This isolation accounts for his broad view of specific scientific problems - he ignored the detailed arguments of others because he was unaware of them. It also shows a courage beyond the call of scientific duty, submission to the inner compulsion which was to drive him on throughout life and for which he was willing to sacrifice everything.

Passages are from book above. Quotes in the first passage are reputed to be Einstein.

A fine read, somewhat of a primer for physics as well as a biography. Nice to separate the man from the icon. I think Einstein was well endowed with humility. I doubt he ever said "I am the greatest." That was Ringo Starr

:beerchug: omc

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    As already noted, all knowledge (apart from J'Pol's) is developed from previous work. I think the implied suggestion that Einstein was thick is perhaps suspect.

He was a focal point which kicked off a lot of new and wonderful theories into singularities, time and quantum physics. He may have stolen stuff (Newton was shameless in this matter) but that doesn't really alter the scale of his contribution.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    those who supposedly had their work &#39;stollen&#39; should be noted and added to textbooks etc.. not just go around saying einstein was a plagarist.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 23:35
    As already noted, all knowledge (apart from J&#39;Pol&#39;s) is developed from previous work. I think the implied suggestion that Einstein was thick is perhaps suspect.&nbsp;

He was a focal point which kicked off a lot of new and wonderful theories into singularities, time and quantum physics. He may have stolen stuff (Newton was shameless in this matter) but that doesn&#39;t really alter the scale of his contribution.
    Thank you so much, that is really nice of you to say.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    People, check the source.

Other articles on their site include:

EVIDENCE FOR CREATION BY OUTSIDE INTERVENTION

MYCOPLASMA-The real cause of AIDS, CFS, CJD & MS?

AFRICAN AVATARS - Has Christ already returned?

THE ALIEN AUTOPSY FILM

Why would anything they write be taken seriously?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast