Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprockette

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well, poor Sprocket has been reborn into her new ( for her at least) smaller case and in the process has been rechristened Sprockette.

It's amazing how so much work can go into a project like this and yet visually things look just about the same.

I still have some detail/finish work to do, but I want to confirm my fan layout before I finalize the wiring harness and I still have a few accessories I want to incorporate.

With any luck though, the major modding is done and all the rest will not require a major stripdown.
    If it does, things will get a lot easier however, as I drilled out many of the riveted assemblies and they are now held by screws, so servicing this beast is a lot simpler.

So far the cooling performance is exceptional...but I've said that before so the final verdict will have to wait. I still have some final tinkering to do with my fan placement/orientation and voltage (5v or7v?...hmmm?), but at least the majority of the hard, dirty work should be over.

Right.

Sprockette mini work log...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Whyd you put it in a smaller case?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    When I go to your "Pictures in clocker2's "Sprockette" Album" I can see all the thumbnails but the larger pictures don't work when I click to zoom.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bluedevil's Avatar Antileech.Inc
    Very nice Clocker. i've always enjoyed reading your adventure's with cooling your case...but can only watch the pics in small the click to zoom doesnt work with me.

but from what i can see i looks stunning

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    That looks amazing! Very nice indeed
    What kind of temps are you hoping to get with that??
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 February 2004 - 19:24
    When I go to your "Pictures in clocker2's "Sprockette" Album" I can see all the thumbnails but the larger pictures don't work when I click to zoom.
    I don't understand.
    I just went there and clicked on the thumbnails and they zoomed just fine.

Poop.
    I spent a bunch of time writing the captions for them too....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@6 February 2004 - 19:30
    That looks amazing! Very nice indeed
    What kind of temps are you hoping to get with that??
    Thank you.

The actual temps aren't as important to me as trying to keep the temp steady.
    Obviously, the lower the better, but all my previous setups have been extremely sensitive to room ambient.
    As soon as my furnace would kick on, the temps would creep up.

That said, I would love to see my temps max out at 33-35C whilst Folding.
    So far, over the past few hours, she's been holding steady at 29C, but the heat hasn't come on for the evening yet so we'll have to wait and see.

She is very quiet though, so I could probably kick up the rpm on my radiator fans if I had to...maybe it's time to make a fan control panel.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    maybe it's time to make a fan control panel.
    lol it never ends with you clocker
    really though, that does look amazing, consider yourself an inspiration :beerchug: cheers
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    what made you decide to return to watercooling clocker? and what is that video card you are cooling, didnt you say that you had to use some old pci piece card?
    oh and what did you put on your power supply cables to make them round and not "frincged" with all of those wires ? is it just black electrical tape or something? im thinking of putting on electrical tape to make it look neater and not have to buy anything, what do you think?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 February 2004 - 22:12
    what made you decide to return to watercooling clocker? and what is that video card you are cooling, didnt you say that you had to use some old pci piece card?
    oh and what did you put on your power supply cables to make them round and not "frincged" with all of those wires ? is it just black electrical tape or something? im thinking of putting on electrical tape to make it look neater and not have to buy anything, what do you think?
    I decided to retry the H2O because it seems to be less sensitive to changes in room ambient temp. There is a heat register right above my case and when the furnace kicked on I used to see my chip temp rise immediately.
    With the water rig this doesn't seem to happen as dramatically.

My pals down at the comp shop loaned me a nVidia MX440 SE till I can get the bucks for a real card. I mounted the heatpipe on it cause the little fan was driving me crazy. When I return the card I'll just give them the heatpipe as rent. Those guys love nVidia cards and I can see their point...I just put it in and it worked right off the bat, no drivers, no set up, no nuthin...
    It probably benches poorly, but it's a world better than the PCI POS.

I am just using a few zip-ties on my PSU cables.
    The wires aren't very visible and they stay nice and flexible if they are unwrapped.
    The wiring is definitely the biggest pain of the whole project.
    If you decide to wrap yours with electrical tape try to do as much as possible with the wires in the postion that they will end up. That way they should be bent the way they need to go. If you are lucky you can find some light guage tape...not so bulky as the typical stuff...that also helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast