Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Up Your Down Loads

Ever have a specific file that only a few people have, and consider yourself lucky if any of them happen to be online.Only to have a brief bit of happiness when it connects at an acceptable d/l speed then gradually fades to 0Kb/s, disconnects and struggles if at to reconnect.

I've found that if you can list thier files there is a way to "wake up" connections that misbehave like this.

1. About 10-15 seconds after desired download starts take note of Kb/s
    (for reference puposes this is the initial speed)
    2. Find more from same user
    3. Queue a dozen or more small files from them (50-500k)
    4. As the Kb/s fall below 1/2 its initial speed, resume one of the small files queued from that user.

10-15 seconds after queued small file is finished, note that Kb/s of desired download recovers most, if not all its former speed

hope this works for others as well as it has served me

Thanx k-lite and ppl who made this possible
    greets to all

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    LOL, I heard these tips before - the speed initially shown is inaccurate.
    All you are really doing is extending your possible download time by interrupting your download and downloading stuff you probably don't even want.

Take a look at your own UPLOAD speeds and you will see what I mean.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    1. this is why there is a 10-15 sec. delay for reference speed

2. not interupting just reviving a fading connecting, hence the reason for "small files"

3 the UPLOAD reference also supports a secondary benefit because i frees an upload slot on thier machine when finishes.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    1. So you are saying when I initially receive a 12 kb speed from a modem user it is correct?
    2. Why should connections fade? Are your own uploads fading? If you pause a download, is it not interrupted?
    3. How can you be certain that you receive a free slot, and if they have more than one upload slot, that what you get is faster than before?

I don't want to pull your leg, but I think this pertains to the realm of superstition.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Will try it again didnt work for me last time but will try again and again.

I think the best way to get the film down is to Pray

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    This seems a bit aguementative

1. this is why there is a 10-15 sec. delay for reference speed

2a. there are may reasons why d/l speeds vary
    2b. there are may reasons why u/l speeds vary
    2c. not cancelling desired file, resuming one small file while desired file is downloading

3 to give further explanation of the slot issue
    the downloading party can somewhat what guage the uploaders traffic capacity(simutanious uploads AKA slots)by resuming all file from uploader at the same time till they get remotely queued the number of files that start give a relative indication as to thier availible slots.
    using K++ PL cheat bumps all lesser PL(depends on uploaders software/version) taking slots they occupied so using small files bumps them and quickly finishes and frees bandwidth on uploader for a currently downloading desired file still in progress.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Chilly@4 March 2003 - 08:48

my Praying seems to be ensuring my way to a lower much hotter place

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    K, just to make that a bit clearer:

1. 10-15 seconds usually don't suffice to clear the statistical overhead

2. The main reasons why speeds vary you have given yourself - because people have more than one upload slot, and the allotted bandwidth varies. I'm still not sure whether they are alloted according to a pattern (probably first block likely to finish gets higher resources) or if it's just random. So basically, once you have finished downloading your small files (i.e. when you stole bandwidth from yourself) another user will jump in the slot that just became free and the lottery starts again.

3. This is interesting conjecture. I cannot gauge that, but maybe my powers of perception are somewhat limited, and it would be too many variables to calculate to be sure - I personally wouldn't make such an effort to do that, simply because I manage to keep my download bandwith used near maximum most of the time using some more traditional speedup techniques.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative, and I have to admit that I didn't read or noticed the part where you said that you would be downloading the small file whilst the other is still downloading, and it sounded much more ridiculous then - but still.... how often do you have to do this to get a lasting effect, and is it really lasting?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Chilly@4 March 2003 - 08:48

I heard it speeds up your downloads when you sprinkle salt on your window sill....
    (or was that to ensure that your download is going to be a boy...?)

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    I just tried it and no joy for me.

...........so im going to try puremindmatters idea.Right i got the salt...lets go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast