Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australia - Us Free Trade Agreement

Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@11 February 2004 - 04:12
    Granted, the Australian dollar is roughly equivalent to the Canadian Dollar. What I mean is, the majority of the jobs will be factory work, which is an unskilled trade, therefore not needing people with decent education who would be able to earn a good living. They will be hiring the ones who will work the cheapest. Just like in Mexico currently, they hire the people who work for like a dollar a day.
    Well in Australia we have an award system combined with the Industrial relations commision which sets mininum rates for diffrent Industries and not a mininum wage like the US that covers every thing, this minium wage is lower than what alot Australians working in factorys get, we also have compusory superanuation which is about 8 - 9% of the weekly wage on top, i'm not sure if it's actually cheaper to employee Australians over Americans, of course there other costs in the manufacture of goods which could make it a better choice....

Overall I don’t see the FTA as good for Australia, like having DMCA laws similar to the US never mind the affect on the PBS and if it's anything like NAFTA it will be disastrous, giving corporations the power to sue if regulatory decisions go against them and the like.

Hopefuly the Australian parliament wont pass it...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    I love how it's going to take 18 years for our Beef to become free trade....

Our beef quota, currently 378,000 tonnes, will be substantially increased - growing by 18.5 per cent over 18 years, then effectively becoming free trade.

I'm hoping it wont pass the Senate.... if Mr Howard thinks this is a once in a generation opportunity too good to pass up then he needs to stop and look at which generation we are currently in....
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot@11 February 2004 - 04:12
    Granted, the Australian dollar is roughly equivalent to the Canadian Dollar. What I mean is, the majority of the jobs will be factory work, which is an unskilled trade, therefore not needing people with decent education who would be able to earn a good living. They will be hiring the ones who will work the cheapest. Just like in Mexico currently, they hire the people who work for like a dollar a day.
    Ha&#33; No, we&#39;re not getting &#036;1 a day over here. Like junkyardking mentioned we have specific award rates of pay (bless the unions&#33 Australia has a bigger percentage of union members than the US, and union members get better pay than non-union members.

So, yes we get paid more, but the value of our dollar cancels the extra income out, so we pretty much get paid about the same.

Personally, I think Australians have a better quality of life than Americans as we have better services, such as Medicare (which although isn&#39;t perfect, seems to be working better than the US model), our social security system (our Work-for-the-Dole program sucks, but is also working better than the US Welfare-to-Work), and our Award rates for wages are much better than the US system of minimum wages.

Oh yeah, and we have better beaches&#33;

Basically, I think we have more "middle ground" socially, than America were the gap between rich and poor seems more extreme.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Will KL protect Australian users from being sued. Is there a way we can be traced?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by Alex H@10 February 2004 - 10:28
    Forget the sugar - it includes broadcasting and content&#33; Now the US can ship all their re-runs over here and swamp our TV and cable stations with leftover daytime movies and all the sitcoms that got axed after the first series&#33;

Help&#33; I want AUSTRALIAN TV&#33;

No offence yanks, but your TV programmes SUCK&#33;
    I hate to tell you this mate, but thats already been happening for the last 20 years.
    Haven&#39;t you noticed?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    [i]Originally posted by uNz[i]+13 February 2004 - 12:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (uNz @ 13 February 2004 - 12:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@10 February 2004 - 10:28
    Forget the sugar - it includes broadcasting and content&#33; Now the US can ship all their re-runs over here and swamp our TV and cable stations with leftover daytime movies and all the sitcoms that got axed after the first series&#33;

Help&#33; I want AUSTRALIAN TV&#33;

No offence yanks, but your TV programmes SUCK&#33;
    I hate to tell you this mate, but thats already been happening for the last 20 years.
    Haven&#39;t you noticed? [/b][/quote]
    B)

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by Alex H+12 February 2004 - 15:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alex H @ 12 February 2004 - 15:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HeavyMetalParkingLot@11 February 2004 - 04:12
    Ha&#33; No, we&#39;re not getting &#036;1 a day over here. Like junkyardking mentioned we have specific award rates of pay (bless the unions&#33 Australia has a bigger percentage of union members than the US, and union members get better pay than non-union members.

So, yes we get paid more, but the value of our dollar cancels the extra income out, so we pretty much get paid about the same.

Personally, I think Australians have a better quality of life than Americans as we have better services, such as Medicare (which although isn&#39;t perfect, seems to be working better than the US model), our social security system (our Work-for-the-Dole program sucks, but is also working better than the US Welfare-to-Work), and our Award rates for wages are much better than the US system of minimum wages.

Oh yeah, and we have better beaches&#33;

Basically, I think we have more "middle ground" socially, than America were the gap between rich and poor seems more extreme. [/b][/quote]
    bullshit we get a better living down here

our technology is 2 years behind America and 25% of us can only get broadband

for example Telstra are a monopoly they won&#39;t pay to upgrade lines US is all government paid

yeah lets pay &#036;240 a month for a 1MB connection when 3mb doesn&#39;t even exist here yet the US get it for about say &#036;50

and yes correct we do get paid allot more but our price for products are insane

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by ||0@13 February 2004 - 00:00
    Will KL protect Australian users from being sued. Is there a way we can be traced?
    we don&#39;t need to worry about the RIAA it&#39;s the AIAA that we need to worry about

tell me one Australian who is being sued??

I am fearless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12