Thread: Motherboard Question

i am currently looking at up grading a pc, it is a e-machine etower 366I2, pent II, 64mb ram, 160gb hardrive,windows 98se but i dont know what motherboard it has, can ne one help me find out?

thax alot

ronald91

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Download and install Aida32.
    It will tell you everything you need to know.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i have it and it says motherbaord name unknown what about that?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    eMachines Motherboard
    Motherboard Cognac
    Part No.: 11560000 , 305781, 306785
    For eMachine Models: eTower ?633is, 700ix, 733i, 800, 700irs, T1801, T1090, T1096
    This is from a used mobo site...
    Sounds proprietary, doesn't it?
    Quel surprise....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if you are looking to upgrade the computer almost everything will need to be upgraded, a motherboard from a pentium II wil only support pentium II's so you wont be able to get a much better cpu.

this is what id recomend doing:
    1. buy a cheap case (unless the emachines one is nice and big and in the atx form to fit a enw motherboard)
    1. B. get a power supply, at least 350watts, 400 or more recomended.
    2. buy an new motherboard (asus a7n8x is nice if youd like an amd cpu, gigabytes are also very ggood and a lot cheaper than asus)
    3. buy an athlon xp cpu (atleast a 2000+) or a pentium 4 cpu (bit more expensive though)
    4. Buy some pc3200 ram to go with the nice new motherboard and processor and make sure to get atleast 512mb.
    5. a video card (unless you get a motherboard with onboard video). doesnt have to be a very good one, if you are planning on gaming i would get a more uptodate card but if not then a geforce 4 mx440 64mb card is pretty cheap and willl do you fine.

I tihnk that is about it, you can take your cd drives and hard drive over from the old computer and also any expansion cards (netowrk, sound , modem, etc.) f4rom the old computer and put that into the new one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    buy a cheap case that COMES with a power supply. seperate ones cost a lot more. don't get those expensive motherboards unless you're really looking to max it out. you can get really nice boards for under $50. buy an athlon xp processor above 1ghz (anything above this is really the same noticeable speed, trust me. i have my own business and build these all the time). buy pc2100 ddr ram, at least 512mb. anything higher speed is more proprietary and expensive. that card he mentioned is not good enough. get the $55 geforce FX 5200 128mb. more memory, faster, newer, and cheaper to boot! this should amount to about $350-$400. pricewatch.com, but newegg.com for motherboard, cpu, and memory.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Yah with your system, you will just need to build a new one. It wont be too much..you can build a very nice one for $620 without monitor and HDD.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Ronald1991@9 February 2004 - 17:02
    i am currently looking at up grading a pc, it is a e-machine etower 366I2, pent II, 64mb ram, 160gb hardrive,windows 98se but i dont know what motherboard it has, can ne one help me find out?

thax alot

ronald91
    You must have already upgraded this, right?
    Surely a system with only 64Mb of RAM didn't come with a honkin big HDD...

Ronald,
    if you just want to upgrade your system then get some more RAM. Find out ( probably from eMachines or even your owner's manual, if you still have it) how much RAM ( and what type) your board supports and then get some more.

Anything else and it would probably be simpler and more cost effective to 86 this machine and start from scratch.
    I think your board is a micro ( or mini) ATX form factor so the Asus board that BigDawg recommended will not work.
    Most newer, better boards have the sound, network and modem functions already onboard, so you probably won't need the expansion cards.
    Your optical drives and HDD may/may not be worth hanging onto, depending on their spec.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    thanx for all the help guys i will save up and take each suggetion into consideration.