Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installing Fonts

  1. #1
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    I followed these steps:

    su
    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
    wget http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software/fluxbo...z-fonts.tar.bz2
    bunzip2 a*.bz2
    tar -xvf *.tar
    cd fluxbox-artwiz-fonts
    mkfontdir
    /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/fluxbox-artwiz-fonts:unscaled

    Yet I still can't get them to work.

    I am on Red Hat 9.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Originally posted by LSA@10 February 2004 - 21:11
    I followed these steps:

    su
    cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
    wget http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software/fluxbo...z-fonts.tar.bz2
    bunzip2 a*.bz2
    tar -xvf *.tar
    cd fluxbox-artwiz-fonts
    mkfontdir
    /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/fluxbox-artwiz-fonts:unscaled

    Yet I still can't get them to work.

    I am on Red Hat 9.
    You still using fluxbox?

    I know in gnome you can just click the little red hat and then click fonts and browse to your new fonts and use them that way.

    Btw, Im guessing but I think X has to be restarted before it can use any new fonts, mouse cursors, etc.

    Im on red hat 9 too

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    Right now im on xfce, im experimenting with different window managers...

    I just got fvwm and am going to try that out tomorrow I hear good things about it

    I'll try that thing in gnome thanks

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Originally posted by LSA@10 February 2004 - 21:23
    Right now im on xfce, im experimenting with different window managers...

    I just got fvwm and am going to try that out tomorrow I hear good things about it

    I'll try that thing in gnome thanks
    Actually if your looking for a lightweight window manager with decent features check out Icewm. great themes too.

    http://www.icewm.org/

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    is it in preferences > fonts?

    i went there and pressed details, there was a button called 'font dir' i went there and tried to copy the fonts but they didnt show up, I was root when i did it and i restarted the font server by

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

    i saw somewhere that there was something in kde's control center to install fonts, but i couldnt find it


    i'm off to bed B)

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    Originally posted by shn+10 February 2004 - 21:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 10 February 2004 - 21:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LSA@10 February 2004 - 21:23
    Right now im on xfce, im experimenting with different window managers...

    I just got fvwm and am going to try that out tomorrow I hear good things about it

    I&#39;ll try that thing in gnome thanks
    Actually if your looking for a lightweight window manager with decent features check out Icewm. great themes too.

    http://www.icewm.org/ [/b][/quote]
    or maybe it was icewm that i got working, i think it was fvwm that didnt work, it wanted some lib i cant remember the name, but i had the lib and it still complained for it&#33;

    i cant keep all those window managers straight anymore

    gnome kde fluxbox icewm xfce twm sawfish fvwm ahhhh

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Originally posted by LSA+10 February 2004 - 21:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA &#064; 10 February 2004 - 21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@10 February 2004 - 21:30
    <!--QuoteBegin-LSA
    @10 February 2004 - 21:23
    Right now im on xfce, im experimenting with different window managers...

    I just got fvwm and am going to try that out tomorrow I hear good things about it

    I&#39;ll try that thing in gnome thanks

    Actually if your looking for a lightweight window manager with decent features check out Icewm. great themes too.

    http://www.icewm.org/
    or maybe it was icewm that i got working, i think it was fvwm that didnt work, it wanted some lib i cant remember the name, but i had the lib and it still complained for it&#33;

    i cant keep all those window managers straight anymore

    gnome kde fluxbox icewm xfce twm sawfish fvwm ahhhh[/b][/quote]
    xfce, twwm, sawfish, etc. Thoose are all just window managers. They require major customization and a lot of time.

    Gnome and kde are full blown desktops. But once you get the window managers configured to your liking they really are beneficial because they save a lot of cpu power.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    what makes it a desktop? applications included with it? libraries for developing software for it, like gtk?

    But once you get the window managers configured to your liking they really are beneficial because they save a lot of cpu power.
    Yeah fluxbox is really speedy compared to kde and gnome, and if you use menu maker to create the menus it looks up just about every application you have and puts it in the menu automatically, saves lots of time, but only works on some window managers

    but all the themes that come with fluxbox are almost unreadable, so I went to get some other ones, and they all want the artwiz fonts...

    Do the fonts have to be a certain filetype to work? Do you have to edit the fonts.dir file in the directory? The one in artwiz&#39;s folder looks like this:

    14
    glisp.pcf.gz glisp
    gelly.pcf.gz gelly
    edges.pcf.gz edges
    glisp-bold.pcf.gz glisp-bold
    nu.pcf.gz nu
    drift.pcf.gz drift
    mints-strong.pcf.gz mints-strong
    cursor.pcf.gz cursor
    cure.pcf.gz cure
    aqui.pcf.gz aqui
    lime.pcf.gz lime
    snap.pcf.gz snap
    anorexia.pcf.gz anorexia
    mints-mild.pcf.gz mints-mild

    ^^^are those zipped? ill try gunzip on them and see what happens...

    and the fonts.scale is just a &#39;0&#39;

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    908
    I unzipped them and they work if you type in the name (from fonts.dir) in the fonts tab in xmms preferences

    but the fluxbox themes dont detect them...

    I looked in the theme text file and it says the font name, but doesnt use them...

    hmm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •