Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost In Translation

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i just watched it. i'm in tears. it was so touching. the ending was heartbreaking.

btw, anyone else saw this?

and how many nominations/globes did this thing actually win in golden globes?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    muchspl2
    give it a 2 maybe a 2½ thought it was slow and ended shitty, just like real life

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    i thought the ending was too short and dumb. but the story was pretty good. both have family issues, and both are stuck in a place they have no clue about.

anyone know anything bout my globes question?

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    I think Bill Murray will probably win the Oscar for Best Male Actor, but I don't think LIT will win Best Picture. That will go to LOTR - ROTK

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Originally posted by Scattershot@11 February 2004 - 09:35
    I think Bill Murray will probably win the Oscar for Best Male Actor, but I don't think LIT will win Best Picture. That will go to LOTR - ROTK
    Sean Penn will get best actor and about dam time

as for ROTK it should get it and deserves it but name a fantasy movie that has won a Oscar???

its the drama stuff that always wins Oscars

otherwise

Stars wars

Indiana Jones

ET

would have won

oh and forgot to mention how the f**ck did Chicago beat two towers and Malon Rouge crap beat Fellowship???

that better award Peter Jackson this year otherwise I'm boycotting the Oscars same goes for Sean Penn he better get it

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@10 February 2004 - 22:58
    i thought the ending was too short and dumb. but the story was pretty good. both have family issues, and both are stuck in a place they have no clue about.

anyone know anything bout my globes question?
    google, man!

it won three golden globes: best comedy, best comedy actor, and best screenplay.

i liked it a lot. kinda thin on plot, kinda catered a little too obviously to the gen-x indie-film audience (artistically inclined teenage girl, "woe is me, nobody understands my angst"). but the characters were good, it handled the "doomed romance" stuff extremely well, the atmosphere/mood was thick as pea soup, the soundtrack was damn near perfect, and i liked how it made a very balanced portrayal of tokyo. it had the stereotypical businessman culture with all the bowing and ritual exchanging of business cards, the wacky television, then there were also the cool laid back young japanese people who prolly are a lot like people we all know personally.

its strengths far outweighed its mistakes, imho.

i am really surprised that it won all those golden globes and has been nominated for oscars. it just doesn't seem like the kind of movie that awards shows pay attention to-- it's not built on plastic surgery movie star power, it doesn't have a historical/epic plot, it's slow and moody, it doesn't go for the easy beginning-middle-and-climax with a happy ending. it's not just that it was filmed in tokyo-- but the story and the script had a very japanese sensibility in the way it lingers on the little details and ironies of the fish-out-of-water experience, and it moves from one vignette to the next instead of artificially organizing everything into three acts like most american movies do. it's not just an american movie plopped down into a foreign country-- it is essentially a foreign movie.

i dunno. even after winning those golden globes, i would not be surprised if it ends up winning no awards at the oscars because the academy is a lot more conservative than the golden globes. there are certain kinds of movies that always end up winning oscars (the ones that deal with historical events, war, major social/political issues, movies that just scream "hey look at me, i'm an epic film")... and lost in translation is not that kind of movie.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    was expecting something funny..... thought it just blew.

acouple of laughs but basicly borring & shit.... propper oscar stuff

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Originally posted by puk)@11 February 2004 - 01:47
    was expecting something funny.....
    i think that's where the trailers/advertisements went wrong. they pushed it as a comedy... and even tho it has a few funny parts, it isn't a comedy and it isn't supposed to be.

@abu: if you've never seen "harold & maude," you might wanna check that out. '60s movie which lost in translation basically lifted its plot from (doomed romance between an old lady and a moody teenage boy).

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    i thought it wasn't funny at all. but it was a good movie. the bed scene was so weird, cuz u expect them to do something, but they don't. sigh

10. Movies & TV   -   #10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast