Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows Source Code

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    a link to the whole file list was posted on slashdot but its getting the usual ddos treatment at the moment.

if you have the full source neotheone i would love a copy. even if its just to pick apart a few of the .c files to see how the various things work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    guess i better start hittin the linux thread and get un-n00bed real quick
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Heh...this would be great if I knew something about this...but oh well. Something tells me a whole load of shit is gonna hit the M$ fan here pretty soon. *Shh...hear that? It's the sound of hundreds of hackers giving Bill Gates a heart attack...."

We are all doomed! Better switch to Linux...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@12 February 2004 - 20:19
    Heh...this would be great if I knew something about this...but oh well. Something tells me a whole load of shit is gonna hit the M$ fan here pretty soon. *Shh...hear that? It's the sound of hundreds of hackers giving Bill Gates a heart attack...."

We are all doomed! Better switch to Linux...
    It had to happen sometime...

But really this could be bad since microsoft will be the only ones administering the patches and now that the source is released there will be a surge in virues...

R.I.P. M$

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i think it will be time to put microsofts secure computing initiative to the test soon.

it is not the whole operating sytem so you cant compile your own verison of windows which is a bit of a shame but the shell and kernel are there so there should be plenty to play with.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Did this just get released? I'm suprised I haven't heard about it on The Screen Savers yet. Lots of people are gonna have fun with this.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@12 February 2004 - 20:39
    Did this just get released? I'm suprised I haven't heard about it on The Screen Savers yet. Lots of people are gonna have fun with this.
    I thought the screen savers would have an entire episode dedicated to this, i mean this is big news.

They didn't even mention it?!

They were all over the adrian lamo case...

I think it was just announced when they were airing though or something.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Yeah, this is pretty big news, considering the hole that they just found that they said is one of the most threating holes yet, the patch just came out too. Damn...is it just me, or does Microsoft have alot of security issues? First all the holes, bugs, and patches, now this! What's next....?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    y was this leaked well
    read this
    Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:20:38 -0800
    >From: Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
    >Subject: Windows 2000 source code
    >
    >Microsoft Corp.&#39;s decision last week to give its 1,000 top U.S. enterprise
    >customers access to the Windows 2000 source code has been sharply criticized
    >by smaller customers.&nbsp; [Source: eWeek (formerly PCWeek), "Windows Source
    >Code Deal: Not For All", March 12, 2001, page 20]
    >
    >&nbsp; ... even more concern was raised by its implementation language,
    >&nbsp; Microsoft Basic.&nbsp; ``Most of our programmers haven&#39;t used Basic since
    >&nbsp; college,&#39;&#39; said an IT manager at a Fortune 500 insurance company, ``most OS
    >&nbsp; guys don&#39;t consider it [Basic] to be a serious implementation language.&#39;&#39;
    >
    >&nbsp; Mike Conelrad, a senior programmer at an enterprise solution provider
    >&nbsp; based in Kentucky, said he is disappointed that Microsoft has only chosen
    >&nbsp; to release &#39;desimonyzed&#39; source code.&nbsp; ``The original variable names have
    >&nbsp; been replaced with code names like A002134,&#39;&#39; according to Conelrad.
    >&nbsp; ``That tells me absolutely nothing about the variable.&nbsp; But with a name
    >&nbsp; like wParam, at least I know that the variable is word length.&#39;&#39;
    >
    >&nbsp; ``Some of the variable names were unacceptable,&#39;&#39; said Microsoft
    >&nbsp; spokesperson Lirpa Loof.&nbsp; ``They used trademarks improperly and had other
    >&nbsp; defects which were simply not acceptable in any Microsoft product.&#39;&#39;
    >&nbsp; Sources close to the Windows 2000 development team indicate that the
    >&nbsp; defects include references to Microsoft founder Bill Gates and other
    >&nbsp; officers of the Redmond-based company.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    If that&#39;s the source code for Win. 2K, then no wonder M&#036; has so many problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast