Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Australians Constantly Talk About Being

Why ??

Is it because of Australia day ?? and is it really something to be proud of ??

The aboriginies call it Invasion Day

2. Lounge   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Good question.

An amazing and beautiful place, to be sure; worthy of pride, I guess.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini@13 February 2004 - 02:09
    Why ??

I've never really done this.
    I'm more of a Internationalist, nationalism just seems to be stupid considering were all the same race, Human

4. Lounge   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    i'm proud that i have never seen an episode of neighbours

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    I'd love to visit Australia one day, it seems like a beautiful country with great people.

I want to ride in a kanagroos pouch...but I hear that is not as much fun as it would appear...

6. Lounge   -   #6
    want to ride in a kanagroos pouch

7. Lounge   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini@13 February 2004 - 11:39
    Why ??

Excuse me? Which Australians constantly say that?

I'm an Aussie, but I've never referred to myself as being "proud" of the fact.

I'd rather be a quiet acheiver than prideful of the patch of dirt upon which I originated.

And for the folks that want to ride in a kangaroo's pouch; forget it, you won't fit.
    Sorry.

Anyone else want to wheel out another silly stereotype?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Australia Day is an excuse for a day off and a piss up as it has been since it's inception.

On January 26, 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip took formal possession of the colony of New South Wales and became its first Governor.

The fledging colony soon began to celebrate the anniversary of this date. Manning Clarke notes that in 1808 the "anniversary of the foundation of the colony" was observed in the traditional manner with "drinking and merriment".

SOURCE

Some Koori's call it Invasion Day. I live in a town which has quite a high indigenous population. My kids friends are Koori. They celebrate Australia Day along with the rest of us.

Jonno and Baz made it a fun day with their 'Tribute to Australia' radio show. People from 5 countries listened and they were all interested in all things Australian. Maybe that's why we talk about it, because people want to know.

We are proud, why wouldn't we be? Not that it's all perfect but it's damn close.

And that's really dopey thinking you can ride in a 'roos pouch. You have to put a saddle on them.

B)

9. Lounge   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    what is it with the other parts of the world stereo typing Australian all the time

yeah we all have kangaroos bounce around in a outback and where all aboriginals that throw bommarangs away and they come back

wait and we all speak like Steve Irwin that fuckwit

and other thing I don't get cook BBQ with shrimp WTF!!??? never got that stupid American joke to Australians we have prawns not shrimp

and the only artist the other world know are Savage Garden ACDC Kyle Manoque Silverchair

and you guys seem to think Russell Crowe is Aussie hes new zealander

sorry in a bad mood today

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I agree one should be proud of their country. Hell I'm proud to be an American.

Funny though we don't have an American Day. I guess it would be weird celebrating BEING an American. We tend to celebrate "specific" events like independence or birthdays and name them accordingly.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast