Thread: New Re-writer Problem

Poster
    I've just bought and installed a new Optorite CD-RW CW5205 52x24x52x Re-writer from Novatech.co.uk and I am already having problems with it.

I've burnt a few audio CD's using either Nero 6.3.0.2 or Roxio Easy CD 6 and I thought that they had burnt OK, but when I came to play the CD's only the first couple of Tracks play and then I get a track which 'jumps' and the rest of the album after this track is blank (these are not dodgy RIAA mp3's btw, they are ripped from albums).

I decided to try writing the albums again, thinking mabye that I wrote them too fast (40x). So using Nero I wrote a CD again at 16x and got an error message 'burn failed'. So I tried Easy CD at 16x and got another error message 'spindle servo error'.

Now every time I try to burn a CD it will get about half-way and then stops responding (I have to restart system). I've tried uninstalling the writer and then reinstalling it, but same problems.

Is it a faulty writer? Please help!
    <span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Barton Athlon XP2500, 512Mb DDR RAM, Creative Blaster 5 fx5950 Ultra, Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Win XP</span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    try updating hte aspi drivers, i beleive u can get them at adaptec.com. and also, what is the setup of the drives on your ide channels

tell us:

-primary-
    master:
    slave:

-secondary-
    master:
    slave:

and go into device manager and make sure dma is eneabled for the ide chanel with teh drive on it.

edit: oh and have you tried using any other brand of cd-r&#39;s? it could just be incompatible media.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Thanks for the quick reply Rossco_2004.

Here is the setup in my BIOS of the drives:

-primary-
    master: MAXTOR 6E030L0
    slave: None

-secondary-
    master: JLMS XJ-HD166S (Liteon DVD ROM)
    secondary: OPTORITE CD-RW CW5205

I have just downloaded aspi drivers ver. 4.71 (is this the correct one? - I&#39;m using Win XP Pro - service pack 1)

And I have been using a variety of CDR&#39;s and CDRW&#39;s > &#39;SKY&#39;, &#39;Mr. Data&#39;, &#39;Imation&#39;

Abouth the DMA mode - sorry for being such a NOOB - I have clicked on the properties of the Writer in the DEvice Manager but cannot find any option to turn DMA on or off
    <span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Barton Athlon XP2500, 512Mb DDR RAM, Creative Blaster 5 fx5950 Ultra, Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Win XP</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    oh thats ok i couldnt find it either when i first started using xp, its in teh ide ata&#092;atapi controllers section, double click the primary and go to advanced settings then make sure it says dma if available for both parts, then same for secondary.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Got it&#33; - Yes they all say DMA if available

Just installed the aspi drivers and it appears to have worked - just wrote 3 albums using Easy CD and Nero with no problems. Thanks ROSSCO. good work fella&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yay&#33; im so happy i helped someone.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I spoke too soon&#33; After a few more burns I got the error message back &#39;Spindle Servo Error&#39; FUCK&#33; Will have to send it back to the supplier to get checked out&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    OK I got the writer replaced but I am now having problems with the new writer (an artec wrr 52z)

When burning an audio CD with Nero 6 I got the error message:
    Invalid Field Command

And then when I tried to burn a .CUE image using Alcohol I got the following error message:
    [Write ERROR] LBA: 327936, Length: 16
    S:KEY - 03/0C/00 - "Write Error

Again I have used different brands of CDR&#39;s and wrote at different speeds. I have updated the aspi drivers to the latest release. If I put back my old writer (a Samsung 16x) then I get no errors.

Have I been unlucky twice or is there something I am missing?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Alot of people seem to have problems when they have nero and roxio and nero installed. It may be a good idea to try and unistalling one of them.