Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Comp New Software?

Poster
    The site is good, but it just not updated that's all. www.Techconnect.ws new everything.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by supersonic@13 February 2004 - 20:09
    The site is good, but it just not updated that&#39;s all. www.Techconnect.ws new everything.
    Sonic I see what you mean no winxp tweaks I could see.But I bookmarked it looks interesting i&#39;ll post link if you don&#39;t mind. thanks
    http://www.techconnect.ws/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    h1
    Get:
    NOD32 or AVG
    Sygate or ZoneAlarm
    BitTorrent / SoulSeek
    OpenOffice
    Winamp
    VideoLAN
    Firebird
    and what everyone else has said.

Originally posted by supersonic@13 February 2004 - 22:47
    And don&#39;t forget to download all the software above, and keep adding and adding till it says "free space -1.99 GB"&nbsp;

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by lol23@13 February 2004 - 04:45
    ok i jus bought my self a new desktop and am starting from scratch few quick questions and any replies would be greatly appreciated
    1- antivirus- from pinned topic ive gathered that nod32 is prob best to get am i right? also which firewall shud i get and how do i set it up so as i can still download stuff through bittorrent kazaa etc.. is the windows xp firewall no good??
    2-i got nero rom and easy cd creator with comp but im sure i read in topic somewhere not to use these two together is this true? if so is nero the better?
    3- i also got norton internet security and norton gost with it r these any good to me??

cheers in advance im loving this forum ur all such a big help
    For a lightweight small av, I recommend Norton Corporate Antivirus Client v8.1.1

The 8 version now works great with xp and it has realtime protection enabled by default.

A Norton av server is not required and the client can be installed on a standalone machine. You wont even know its there it uses hardly any resources.

And for a firewall I recommend a physical device...............a router. They are getting so cheap nowadays there is no excuse not to have one. It saves cpu power and the hassle of configuring a software firewall. Just set it and forget it. when you need ports open just go to the web-based admin console and tell it which ones you want open. Nearly all routers have a web based configuration page...........even the cheap ones.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Router&#33;&#33; Easiest way to go.

can&#39;t say I agree with Shn for an anti-virus though. Norton let me down looong ago.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Its suprising the difference between Norton Corporate and Norton home av like Norton pro. i stop using the Norton pro av and other Norton crap long ago.

But its something about Corporate. I think corporate versions are lighter and better because companies and institutions use it. Symantec probably knows they cant bloat it like their other av because companies would not want it then. I got hip to corporate long ago when I seen my uni had it on all their computers. And some of the public boxes at my uni only have like 64 megs of ram so I figured if corp can run on 64 megs of ram then it cant go wrong with anything else. So I found a corp version and have been using it ever since.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    You have a point as always, Shn.

Still can&#39;t see myself using Symantec&#39;s software.

Oh well. My current proggies get the job done. To each, their own. Cheers.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    okey doke thanx to every1 for that
    ok so far ive got nero 6, nod32 although it says its old version so have to update that&#33; i got my office suite i got videolan, iuse bittorrent n soulseek n sometimes emule for downloads (n very rarely kazaa lite). i got ad aware, windvd came wid comp?? i am buying a router fairly soon so i can network laptop n desktop anyway. i also got tempgenc n winrar. am i missing owt here then of major importance??
    also i have clone dvd but i tried to copy a dvd i borrowed and it came up with error about it being copyrighted and wouldnt read it. is there any way around this in clone dvd or if not wot other software could i use??
    thanx a lot for help ur all stars&#33;&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    I dunno, but I think u will need some adobe shit like A acrobat. Dont download it fi you dont use it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12