Thread: Los Alamos + Space Elevator

Poster
    So they're finally doin it!
    Building a Space Elevator.....
    Hot damn! I hope it's finished before I die!

STORY

There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either.
    And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    "The promise of inexpensive access to space is so important to the human race..."

And here I was thinking the promise of alleviating famine, disease, and poverty were so important to the human race.

Well, I certainly don't want to be in that thing when it either 1) collapses from its own weight, 2) topples over from some sort of natural disaster, or 3) is destroyed through manmade means.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    Where did it say anything about a space elevator in that article.

The Idea is entirely feasable. And would be such a better investment than a moon base.

I'm sure they will have more than one by the end of our generation.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Inexpensive access to space is important to the human race because if we don't get off this rock we follow the dinosaurs. Which would also alleviate poverty and famine, though the diseases would survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 February 2004 - 16:18
    "The promise of inexpensive access to space is so important to the human race..."

And here I was thinking the promise of alleviating famine, disease, and poverty were so important to the human race.

Well, I certainly don't want to be in that thing when it either 1) collapses from its own weight, 2) topples over from some sort of natural disaster, or 3) is destroyed through manmade means.

It's going to be so much easier for the sperm to make it to the egg with out gravity, this is defiantly momentis moment for the human race.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    About a half mile north of where the old firestation used to be before I torched it to a pile of smoldering ash
    This entire thing was discussed some time ago in World Events I think

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off...to me it seems like a fairly ludicrous idea there are too many things to go wrong.

But if scientists can solve these problems then who knows? It would be great to get into space before I die...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by Withcheese@17 February 2004 - 18:16
    It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off...to me it seems like a fairly ludicrous idea there are too many things to go wrong.

But if scientists can solve these problems then who knows? It would be great to get into space before I die...
    but, you know... arthur c. clarke's endorsement of the space elevator idea does lend it some credibility, since he is regarded as the "inventor" of the geo-stationary telecommunications satellite. if he's taking the time to give speeches about something like this, i'd think it's an idea worth paying attention to.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Does it go both ways? Seems we have a problem taking off and landing.