Thread: 22% Extra Performance...

Poster
    A friend of mine is doing "Computer Architecture and Design" at uni. His lecturer was talking about compilers to increase CPU performance and he's just forwarded this link to me...
    Has anyone else done any research into this or got any experience in this area?
    Might be interesting
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I have a general understanding what a compiler is, but as far as programming computers go, I have very limited knowledge.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Lick My Lovepump
    The Intel one probably used SSE and SSE2 that not all AMDs will support, but the FX51 does.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Mad Cat@14 February 2004 - 15:38
    The Intel one probably used SSE and SSE2 that not all AMDs will support, but the FX51 does.
    AMD supports SSE2 and SSE AFAIK.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by adamp2p+14 February 2004 - 23:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 14 February 2004 - 23:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mad Cat@14 February 2004 - 15:38
    AMD supports SSE2 and SSE AFAIK. [/b][/quote]
    My 2600+ only supports SSE, my FX51 supports SSE and SSE2.
    Neither have SSE3.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by 4th gen@14 February 2004 - 15:14
    A friend of mine is doing "Computer Architecture and Design" at uni. His lecturer was talking about compilers to increase CPU performance and he&#39;s just forwarded this link to me...
    Has anyone else done any research into this or got any experience in this area?
    Might be interesting
    in that article it&#39;s not the compiler that&#39;s increasing CPU performance, it&#39;s the programmer who makes the binary program including SSE & SSE2 instructions. the Intel compiler is actually hindering performance on AMD CPUs because it&#39;s creating programs that refuse to run on AMD chips which are fully qualified to use the same instructions as the Intel chips. if Intel would just quit the shenanigans, it wouldn&#39;t be a matter of increase or decrease, but of programs simply taking advantage of what&#39;s available with both brands of chips.

maybe there are compilers which create leaner, more efficient programs than others, but that example you linked is really just a case of one company trying to handicap the other companies&#39; products so that certain features can&#39;t be used.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the compiler is increasing performance its just its checking what kind of processor its running on first and if its not intel it refuses to compile...the hack gets round this check and allows it to run on the amd chips which show a similar performance increase to an intel...thats my understanding of it anyway
    Thermaltake Xaser III
    Antec Truepower 430W
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    AMD Barton 2800+ (@ 3200+)
    Aero 7+
    1Gb PC3200 Twinmos Dual Channel (@ 6,3,3,2)
    Sapphire 9800Xt
    2x WD 120Gb Sata in Raid 0
    Plextor DVD-Rom 16x
    Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
    ADI 19&quot; P900 CRT

3dMark03 = 6326
    Aquamark = 43767

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    read it again. the compiler doesn&#39;t add SSE/SSE2 instructions to the binaries-- they&#39;re already in there because the programmers put them in the source code. the compiler does not increase performance, the SSE/SSE2 instructions increase performance.

Intel calls it an "Intel Optimizer," but if a program gains precisely 22% on both platforms just because it uses SSE/SSE2, i wouldn&#39;t call that optimization since it isn&#39;t "optimizing" the programs any more for Intel chips than it is for AMD chips. it just adds an artificial "AMD chips don&#39;t get to use SSE/SSE2" flag to the programs.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You can always depend on the Brain Maniac to throw down some knowledge...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clear
    Last edited by SciManAl; 03-15-2006 at 11:13 PM.