Thread: First People In North America

Hey people,

I have an essay to do for tomorow and I'm having a really hard time with it, you see it's for canadian history, yet the catch is that it's in french, and I know absolutly zero french, they just stuck me in this course, and everything is to full for me to switch out

So now i have to do a "short" essay on one of the theories of how the first people cae to north america, I am thinking probably doing the theory of them crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Asia and stuff.

Can anyone here help me out, I have been trying to find some sites to "research" from lol, but no good ones are to be found , also is there any better translater then altavista? or even ebtter some people on here that took history and know french??

PS it doesnt have to be the atlantic ocean one, it could also be the pacific, detroit bering, or first nations....
    700-950 words

I have to answer questions like:
    what's the theorie?
    is there evidence to prove it?
    are there problems with the theorie?
    how is this different from other theories?
    and why do i think this theory is right?
    :helpsmile:

Kai
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Lounge   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Try researching the history of the Enuits. These people probably came over to America/Canada via Alaska. If you look at some of the South American peoples they have the same characterisitics of the Enuit.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    This won't help at all but when i was a student we went to the library and studied, that way we learnt not only about the subject but also exercised our brains in the process of research (we didn't have the internet then). I tell my children to look up words in the dictionary if they can't spell them or don't know the meaning (ok i admit sometimes i don't)
    I assume the essay is supposed to be about the discovery and settlement of the Americas from the developed world of the time, however i would like to point out that America was already populated by native Americans and canada by indiginous eskimo type peoples and wasn't "missing".
    try the library of congress site they have excelent resources for study.
    library of congress

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Research it in english then copy and paste it into a translater such as www.freetranslation.com and thats ur research paper.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by Kenny1036@15 February 2004 - 08:50
    Research it in english then copy and paste it into a translater such as www.freetranslation.com and thats ur research paper.
    then do a reverse translation back into English....it can be hilarious

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    my native american ancestors came from asia thru alaska a loooooooong time ago. thats about all i know. :helpsmile:

7. Lounge   -   #7
    okay, new plan, I'm doing it on the Bering Strait and how people came across that, theres more info on that it seems
    i have 216 words now...
    i need 700-950
    can anyone help me and give me some ideas on what i can write about?!

Kai
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

8. Lounge   -   #8
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by Pitbul@15 February 2004 - 13:15
    my native american ancestors came from asia thru alaska a loooooooong time ago. thats about all i know. :helpsmile:
    same here or the tia heno indians.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@15 February 2004 - 16:27
    Hey people,

I have an essay to do for tomorow and I'm having a really hard time with it, you see it's for canadian history, yet the catch is that it's in french, and I know absolutly zero french, they just stuck me in this course, and everything is to full for me to switch out 
    If you absolutely need it in french, I could translate it for you.
    Abou that part:
    are there problems with the theorie?
    have a look at the kennewick man