Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc3200/2700/2100/1600 Ddr Sdram

PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR SDRAMs. Witch Is The Best and why?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I would say 2700 because its the fastest at the moment that runs stable.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    The higher the number, the faster the RAM.

Higher numbers mean that the RAM can transfer data more quickly to the CPU.

The type of RAM you can use is dependant on what your motherboard's chipset can support. Recent chipsets like the nForce2 will support up to PC3200 (aka DDR400), but older hardware won't work with the faster RAM sticks. PC2100 (aka DDR266) works with most DDR-capable motherboards.

PC2700 (aka DDR333) probably offers best value for money right now.

I would say 2700 because its the fastest at the moment that runs stable.
    PC3200 will run stably on a nForce2 motherboard like the Asus A7N8X. Dual-channel DDR @ 400MHz is also available with an nForce2.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ok thankz.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    It is ideal for the ram speed to match the bus speed, so that there aren't any cycle delays when RAM is being accessed.

If the bud speed is 333Mhz, and the RAM speed is 233Mhz, this means the bus has a throughput of 333MB/s and the RAM has a throughput of 233MB/s. This means the bus has 333,000,000 cycles per second (roughly every 3 nanoseconds), and the ram has 233,000,000 cycles per second (roughly every 4 nanosecond). This means every fourth nanosecond the computer sits idle. So in effect, there are 100,000,000 wasted cycles every second when RAM is accessed. These are 100 million times a second when the computer just sits idle waiting to access the RAM.

NOW, if the bus speed matches the RAM speed (bus 333, RAM 333), then each would have the exact same cycles per second and there would be NO wasted cycles.

Theoretically, mismatching speeds and wasted cycles should translate to major bottlenecks. The truth is that the wasted cycles arent really noticeable. Who is going to notice a slow down every 4 nanoseconds? BUT you should have matching configurations for optimal performance.

Bottom line is: Get the ram speed that matches your bus speed.

I hope I was clear on the explanation. The numbers I used were rough estimates.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    didnt understand any of that but it might come in handy in the future

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    What I'm saying is that RAM speed should match the bus speed for optimal performance.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yes DDR 2100 Is the best, (of the DDR catagory) But one should know that Rambus will always prevail!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ex-member
    Rambus will always prevail!
    Only if you use Intel and have money to burn!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Statisically, PC3200 DDR SDRAM is the fastest because it has the fastest processor in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast