Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deffinition Of Murder

Originally posted by Ron@5 March 2003 - 18:19
    Zardoz, I'm not disagreeing with you, because I have no knowledge on this.
    But do you have any links that might help me form an opinion on this?
    Amnesty International

2. Lounge   -   #12
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Zardoz, the bible says " the wages of sin is death". Now, would you like to take the mitigating circumstances that someone died that you might live, or just accept that you are condemned?

seriously, there are many things in this world that are wrong. Everyday, laws are passed to help things get a little better. Then without fail, something happens and we all take two steps backwards. Finger pointing serves no purpose, we are equally flawed. My motto in life is to treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. If we all could do this all the time, the world would be a much better place

3. Lounge   -   #13
    @Ron
    My Fiancée and I were thinking of Emigrating to the USA and so we investigated the country and its laws etc
    We were so appalled that the USA is probably the last place we would live in.

Many countries are worse but few hold themselves so pure

Also I am not anti American just anti America and all the forces that make it what I hate

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by RPerry@5 March 2003 - 18:34
    Zardoz, the bible says " the wages of sin is death". Now, would you like to take the mitigating circumstances that someone died that you might live, or just accept that you are condemned?

seriously, there are many things in this world that are wrong. Everyday, laws are passed to help things get a little better. Then without fail, something happens and we all take two steps backwards. Finger pointing serves no purpose, we are equally flawed. My motto in life is to treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. If we all could do this all the time, the world would be a much better place
    And vengeance is a hate crime
    Only heathens would attribute such an act to a GOD

Where are all the fingers pointing?

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Originally posted by alan36uk@5 March 2003 - 18:20
    We all bleed the same colour..we are not on this earth forever.
    Zardos you sound like you got a chip on your shoulder.
    Get over it.We only live once.
    And we all die sooner than insurance company predictions if Bush forces us to armageddon.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Well, I read the link you gave me Zardoz, and I have mixed feelings about the death penalty.
    I'm against it, but if someone would hurt my wife, son, or anyone close to me, I WOULD kill.
    Some people are not worthy of being alive IMO.
    As for the age: most of them were seventeen (one or two were 16), so they were old enough to know what they were doing as far as I'm concerned.
    So the real question isn't whether they should be put to death, but if they were liable for their crimes.
    I say they were. They commited serious crimes, fled from the scene, because they KNEW they were wrong. They have to face the consequences, I think.
    Whether that consequence has to be death is another question.
    Anyway, if you ask a 17 year old if he is still a child, he'll probably laugh in your face, but when he commits a brutal crime, he suddenly is?
    I really don't know WHATt to think about it.
    Both sides have valid arguments.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    A 16 yr old should face the consequences, true.

But to be too young to vote, but old enough to be put to death by your own government surely can't be right. I for one know I am a very different person now than I was at 16/17.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Well, a few years back, you had to be 21 to vote here.
    Now, it's 18.
    Certain people want to make that 16 now.
    Will that make it OK to execute a 16 year old?
    I don't think the voting age is a correct measure to establish the minimum death penalty age.If you're old enough to willingly kill, you're old enough to face the consequences for that too, I should say.
    Again, whether that has to be death, is another thing.
    I'd say no, except if my loved ones were concerned.
    Hypocrit, I know, but at least honest.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Originally posted by Ron@5 March 2003 - 19:19
    Well, a few years back, you had to be 21 to vote here.
    Now, it's 18.
    Certain people want to make that 16 now.
    Will that make it OK to execute a 16 year old?
    I don't think the voting age is a correct measure to establish the minimum death penalty age.If you're old enough to willingly kill, you're old enough to face the consequences for that too, I should say.
    Again, whether that has to be death, is another thing.
    I'd say no, except if my loved ones were concerned.
    Hypocrit, I know, but at least honest.
    Hardly a hypocrit
    vengeance is personal not state sanctioned

even American law has discretion for loss of judgement or sanity

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I think the reason most countries don't let you vote at 16 is that you are still too young to have fully formed your opinions about the world. This applies with the death penalty too. I don't think being able to vote would make it OK, I'm just surprised that a country could believe that someone who is too young to express his opinion about the government is old enough to be executed.

I too think if someone in my family was murdered I would want the murderer dead, but that is why we have institutions to make the judgement without the bias caused by emotions and desires for revenge.

Quick Q: if the victim's family expressed their desire not to have the death penalty imposed, could this have an effect on the judge's ruling?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast