Thread: Microsoft Office

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    it appears that IBM is really trying to push linux for the desktop. They recently announced they are going to port office to linux

source

codeweavers worked pretty well and im assuming they normally contribute stufff back to wine so between these two and ibm they will be able to create an excellent emulator for office.

still open office and Koffice are excellent native office applications.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    h1
    Yeah, but anyone with Linux knows that MS Office sucks and that OOo is much more capable and free.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    its aimed more at offices really, most people hear that their precious ms word and their friend clippy will not work under linux they dismiss it.

getting office working with linux may be a big step to get people using linux more.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    h1
    True, true.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Microsoft office and office xp both work under Linux with wine.

They practically work perfectly. The only thing I ever had problems with was internet explorer 6 which I dont need anyway. Internet explorer 5.1 or whatever works fine but I still dont need it

There is no reason to opt for an emulated version of Microsoft Office when Open Office offers a complete office solution.

Presentations, Drawings, Spreadsheets, OpenOffice Impress, OpenOffice writer, Graphics, etc. Plus it's fully compatible with ms office docs, powerpoint slides and other stuff.

Damn, what else do people need?

Codeweavers has contributed a lot to that ms office in linux with their crossover plugin and crossover office. Their wine version works pretty good. Ill give em that credit

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    honestly i think the main reason people want ms office is for the grammar checking in word

i know thats the main feature that i like

i havent noticed it in OOo i looked for it but couldent find it only spell check

but if OOo had grammar checking like ms word i would use it with no questions asked
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    See, that is the "Windows way," where you make programs that try to be all-in-one. In Linux, if a program is excellent, it can be integrated into everything else. Find a good spell checker program, OOo probably has a frontend for it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Strange.

My Open Office has a spell checker. I used it to spell check the pinned vmware topic.

Oh nevermind..............Grammer check? Damn, I wonder whats next with ms.
    An office app that writes your documents for you