Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome To The New Lounge :)

Poster
    Well it could be a good idea (there's always a first time I hear) as it will provide a place for the more serious minded people out there and a haven for those who enjoy frivolity (ie spam).
    That's exactly the point why this additional forum was added. It makes no sense to rewrite the rules because of all the spam / pointless posts going on. A better way is to let people decide what they want.

Obviously quite a few members enjoy the "spammier" threads so it makes no sense to have this banned or "LOCK THE BULLSHIT AND IT SINKS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN!!!" I don't come here to be serious, I have real life for that.
    Many people don't care about spam - that's right, but there are people who complain to us all the time. We get PM's asking why we don't delete multi topic spam posts and also PM's asking us to better watch the lounge cause "it's impossible to find an interesting discussion without finding spam all over the place"...

But, as I've posted, there should be some rules laid out for the "old" lounge else it will get worse than it is right now. I like to mess around and post jokey threads but I can see that the old lounge will be abused if there aren't at least some apparent rules.
    The "old lounge" has forum rules. There is no difference posting in the old lounge or in our music world. The same rules apply to all forums. It's just that the "new lounge" is a place where people can discuss without spammers, hijackers, flamers and off topic talk within posts.

The new lounge is not a place for "better people" but it is a place where people will find interesting topics instantly instead to browse 150 samsamsam topics, 30 "open thought" posts or 5 locked topics per page.

We feel (and know from PM's) that people are looking for a place to start more serious discussions without to worry about

"ok"
    "interesting"
    "i'm just human"
    "lol"
    " "

and similar posts.

We are not against off topic talk but there has to be a place where people can just discuss. Many people are annoyed cause they browse 10 pages to find one great post and that's where the new forum will help.

@ posts counting / not counting in the lounge
    The funny thing is that I disabled post counts in the lounge for like 2 weeks and nobody noticed it. I wanted to see it myself if people really care about post counts or not but nobody even noticed

I think we don't need to discuss if post counts change anything cause if it really IS the case then humans are just stupid since it's just a number and worth nothing.

Edit: I think it makes more sense to give all members 5 stars from the beginning cause stars indicate nothing anyway.

Marc

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by Withcheese@16 February 2004 - 08:50
    See the whole post count argument that comes up time and again is just silly in my opinion. Most people that I know on this board who post in the lounge that I have spoken to don't care about post counts. In fact it's more of a joke to us.

I mean what can I actually do with it...I can't exactly trade them in for beer tokens can I?

I'd be in favour of removing them altogether just to stop this silly argument coming up time and time again (usually from people who got their post counts up before the change...).
    that maybe true but everyone is also always typing about them..like I got my (insert number of stars here) posts...and that is the only reason I can think of someone to post an "lets post an X thread"..cant even see why thats funny....

I guess the stars do serve some type of purpose...can see some reasons for them..but really no big deal for me except thats what most users look at and i could see how the number of stars may affest how u r treated...looked at...responded to..etc..

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Well as my brain slowly wakes up this morning I am beginning to warm to the idea, I can see the merits of having a place for serious discussion seperate. To be honest this weekend's activities had me thinking this was soon happen. Even I get annoyed when one of my more serious topics get hijacked...

Though I do think the old lounge needs a better name than "Off Topic Talk"

@evildon: The guy who started the "x" thread is a master of irrelevant thread but I think he is one of the last people to care about post counts...

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Maybe a good idea would be to rename the old lounge to something like "Spamfest' or something.
    (Okay, maybe Spamfest may not be the best name for it, but you get the idea.)

It would save confusion by giving a clear and unmistakeable indication of what that forum section is for.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@16 February 2004 - 08:10
    Maybe a good idea would be to rename the old lounge to something like "Spamfest' or something.
    (Okay, maybe Spamfest may not be the best name for it, but you get the idea.)

It would save confusion by giving a clear and unmistakeable indication of what that forum section is for.
    Spamfest would be an apt name for it.

I think it should be changed back to The Lounge and we name the new lounge something different...this will both avoid confusion and give us the chance to have a poll.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Even I get annoyed when one of my more serious topics get hijacked...
    Exactly

There are many ways to solve this problem but I think the current one is the best one cause it doesn't harm anybody at all.

We all know that the lounge is a problem forum but I really think the current setup is better than doing something like this:

We could alter the rules and stop spamming / nonsense posts
    This option would make us the "asses" who only care about rules. Soon people would start to cry about censorship, freedom of speech and so on.

Right now nobody can complain. If you post something into the old lounge and it gets hijacked, spammed or flamed then it's your fault cause you have the option to post it into the new lounge and our mods take care that nothing happens.

Cleaning the old lounge was no option cause there are too many posts. Changing the overall rules was no option cause the rules are fine for all other areas.

I believe we found the right way to offer more freedom

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    BANNED
    The "old" lounge should be renamed "the Lounge", cos that's what it is!

This place should have a new name.

Edit: I think it makes more sense to give all members 5 stars from the beginning cause stars indicate nothing anyway.
    Good idea.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@16 February 2004 - 11:19
    The "old" lounge should be renamed "the Lounge", cos that's what it is!

This place should have a new name.

Good idea.

I agree.

YoChange

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    nice

i think this is going to be better for the lounge in fact

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    I think this is all very good. I also enjoy a lot of the spam threads (read only mostly) but I also get frustrated that interesting (to me anyway) topics get buried. Well done 7th.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast