Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genealogists Call Bush And Kerry Kin

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+16 February 2004 - 23:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 16 February 2004 - 23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@16 February 2004 - 17:50

Well if one were to take a Biblical approach, how did Cain and Seth manage? (It doesn&#39;t say if Abel managed to have kids before Cain did away with him).

A minor technicality (if you will) is that after killing his brother Cain was convinced others would cast him out and kill him, no matter where he went. Quite where all the others came from is not adequately explained to my mind but that is a by and by.

The next step of course is Noah and his three sons and daughter in laws. It stands to reason that their children were not too picky about marriage partners either.

A bit like the Ozark mountains really.&nbsp;
    Ask your sister what time I should pick her up at. [/b][/quote]

You have not got the hang of this have you?

I date my sister, you date your sister. :helpsmile:
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by Biggles@16 February 2004 - 22:50

Well if one were to take a Biblical approach, how did Cain and Seth manage? (It doesn&#39;t say if Abel managed to have kids before Cain did away with him).

A minor technicality (if you will) is that after killing his brother Cain was convinced others would cast him out and kill him, no matter where he went. Quite where all the others came from is not adequately explained to my mind but that is a by and by.

The next step of course is Noah and his three sons and daughter in laws. It stands to reason that their children were not too picky about marriage partners either.

A bit like the Ozark mountains really.
    The 1st step, surely, are the children of Adam and Eve...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Face

That would be Cain, Abel and Seth.

PS - There is obviously a slight technicality with the above three. However, Cain ran away and found a wife and had a son called Enoch (not Powell).

I think the best way to look at it, is to consider it a fairly loosely arranged creation myth mixed in with real historical characters from a much later epoch.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    I&#39;M thinking cave men acted the way they did because they were dumb inbreds, that had to be killed off in the Noah&#39;s Ark scenario.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@16 February 2004 - 23:54
    I&#39;M thinking cave men acted the way they did because they were dumb inbreds, that had to be killed off in the Noah&#39;s Ark scenario.
    Having all humanity descended from 8 people (4 of which were already closely related) would not have been my first port of call as a cure for in-breeding though. However, mysterious ways etc.,

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by Biggles+16 February 2004 - 19:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 16 February 2004 - 19:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-<TROUBLE^MAKER>@16 February 2004 - 23:54
    Having all humanity descended from 8 people (4 of which were already closely related) would not have been my first port of call as a cure for in-breeding though. However, mysterious ways etc., [/b][/quote]
    Are you saying they had sperm banks back then ?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+17 February 2004 - 01:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 17 February 2004 - 01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Biggles@16 February 2004 - 19:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-<TROUBLE^MAKER>
    @16 February 2004 - 23:54

Having all humanity descended from 8 people (4 of which were already closely related) would not have been my first port of call as a cure for in-breeding though. However, mysterious ways etc.,
    Are you saying they had sperm banks back then ? [/b][/quote]

Goodness no&#33;

Usuary was forbidden, so no Banks.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    As you know, i lost interest in Christianity a looong time ago, and dont know its Bible back to front....

But, if Adam and Eve were 1st, which is what it wants you to believe....

..........how did their sons find wives that werent their sisters?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@17 February 2004 - 21:54
    As you know, i lost interest in Christianity a looong time ago, and dont know its Boble back to front....

But, if Adam and Eve were 1st, which is what it wants you to believe....

..........how did their sons find wives that werent their sisters?

Now that is where it gets a little confused. I believe the Jews have a legend of Adam&#39;s first wife Lilith who, if I recall, was different from Adam and Eve (not quite human). However, it all gets a bit messy.

Cain runs off to the land of Nod where he meets his wife and founds a city named after his son, Enoch. This would suggest that there are rather a lot of people around and more correctly refers to the lives of early Semetic tribesman. In my view, the first few verses of Genesis are a mish-mash of several creation myths drawn from the ancient traditions of Egypt and Mesopotamia - the latter the homeland of the Semetic tribes and the former one of the oldest and most dominant cultures of the old World. Apologies to those who view these stories differently.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Or perhaps they were metaphors, not to be taken literally. That does make the oral tradition easier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast