Thread: How Would I Play ".tar" Files

How would i play the videos that are in .tar format. I have Winrar, to plar". rar. format but i dont no how to play ".tar"?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Alrite you are going to use WINRAR to extract the .tar file and within that .tar file you will find probably two cd folders.

Within those two cd folders will be .rar files. Extract the first .rar file and the rest will automatically be extracted.

.TAR is a format used for compression, you cant play a .tar file but you can play the files within the .tar file.

Hope that helps

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    actually, to be specific, a .tar archive is not compressed, (or more rather, it should not be) its just a manner of putting multiple files into one container, thats why you typically find .rar files inside it (why this is done escapes me).

it was developed way back when for making backups to tape, hence the extension of the file, (.tar = Tape Archive)

just some useless info i learned in a linux workshop a few weeks ago

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    actually extract the smallest tar or rar file in the two cd folders

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by ravendark@17 February 2004 - 00:49
    actually, to be specific, a .tar archive is not compressed, (or more rather, it should not be) its just a manner of putting multiple files into one container, thats why you typically find .rar files inside it (why this is done escapes me).

it was developed way back when for making backups to tape, hence the extension of the file, (.tar = Tape Archive)

just some useless info i learned in a linux workshop a few weeks ago
    cool!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    look
    Open the .tar highlight every file in the .tar right click on it and pick Extract to Specific Folder and after finishes open the new folder and open only 1 of the files that is in the new folder (like the .rar or one of the .001;.002) and inside that file there should be a .bin and a .cue and extract that to ur desktop or where ever u want 2 put it

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i open the .tar file, then i extract everything in it to a specifed folder. RIGHT!...... but when i do this it says "diagnostic message the archive is corrupt" wat do i do??? :helpsmile:

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    And it also says "unexpexted end to archive"

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Sounds like a corrupted archive to me...