Thread: Wipe Old Traces?

TRshady
    I know loads of programs which can permanently delete files but is there any application that has the ability to write over all your old deleted files so they aren't recoverable?. For example, I downloaded 'windows 98' delete, months later (its still recoverable) how do I write over it. In a way, remove ALL old traces.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    File:Norton Utilities 2002.ISO
    Length:78856192Bytes,77008KB
    UUHash:=GJMymMCl24BduNVCWNmhgjpLFqY=

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I recommend Acronis DriveCleanser, which is included in the Acronis PowerUtilities 2003 package. You can choose from 8 different wiping algorithims (DoD, VSITR, GOST, P. Gutmann etc) and you can make a bootable floppy/CD to run in DOS if you want to nuke all your HDs.

I don't have a hash but there are a few sources on Kazaa. Filename is powerutilities2003_s_en.exe and size is about 38.5MB. You'll need a serial but google for it and you should have no problem finding one. PM/mail me if you can't.

Cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by TRshady@5 March 2003 - 13:18
    For example, I downloaded 'windows 98' delete, months later (its still recoverable)
    How is it still recoverable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    TRshady
    Belive me it is, There's tools like 'data recovery' by ontrack which can recover all deleted files and experts at ontrack.com can remotley recover anything. As for the government we'll thats how get evidence of using kazaa etc to download illegal stuff like games.

@dimeco: thanks for the info , and does that wpe the traces of files that have already been deleted?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Sure does. Depending on the algorithm you choose and the size of your HDs it can take up to a few hours but the time is worth it. The best way to use it is to make the bootable CD and run it from DOS to make sure you get everything on the drives you want to wipe.

The best way to protect yourself from people trying to recover data from your HDs is to use an encryption program to encrypt your data before it gets written to disk. There are a few apps out there that will encrypt whole drives, and if you're serious about protecting yourself you should check them out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Get norton professional 2003
    Get ad-watch and ad-ware
    I had a the same problem as you

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    There's a program called VoptXP which can do this any many other things, it's mainly for defraggin your drives & very quick at doing this. It will let you write over empty blocks with x's. Try it.

http://goldenbow.com/

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What about Evidence Eliminator ? Does it do the job it says it can?