Thread: Overnet Bandwidth Problems

powerstick's Avatar Poster
    I am an avid user of Overnet. I have used it with no problems for 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden my isp starts disconnecting me because they say that I am clogging the lines and using up too much bandwidth. I have a 768 KB/s connection. They have disconnected me 4 times already and I have had to call and talk with them to get it turned back on. Yesterday (Tuesday) they shut me down @ about 10:14 AM then I called them and they talked with me and I told them that I will set my sources to 35 because I set it to 45 and thats when they disconnected me. Little did I know they dropped my speed down to 128 KB/s when they turned it on. I thought that I just didn't have that many sources when I was dl. I then went and purchased a backup power supply for 82 minutes for when the power goes out and Dazzle Digital Video Creator so I can rip all of my vhs and use Dr. Divx to encode them. I returned and I opened up AIM (American Instant Messenger or something like that AOL makes it but the name is AIM so I'm not too sure what the letters stand for) My isp then dropped my connection and then when I called them they told me that they dropped my speed down to 128KB/S to see if that would fix the bandwidth problem + I had changed my sources to 35 instead of 45. This did not fix the problem they said so they cut me off. They then asked me what file sharing program that I was using and I told them Overnet. They said that they would look it up and do some research on it to see why it uses so much bandwidth. BTW my comp is clean of ad-wear, spyware, trojans, viruses, etc. so I know that it is not any crap taking over my connection.

My isp told me not to use any file sharing programs til they tell me that it is ok. They said that it will probably be Thursday before they can upgrade their network to 10 MB/s Down because I am flooding the pipes for 2MB/S. They told me that it I use any filesharing program before they tell me that I can, they will terminate my usage permanently because of prior warning.

Can they do this and why does Overnet use so much bandwidth. Does anyone else have this problem?

What is bandwidth because I have looked it up and the definitions that I have been given haven't told me anything.

Thanks!
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Use a program like Net limiter to reduce your upload speed. Also try lowering your download speeds.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    emm boss you isp sucks and they are mfrs, tell them if they can't accomadate your needs you will go some place else, they have no right dictate what you use on your pc.

try setting you max upload to 10 and see if that helps

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by powerstick@18 February 2004 - 17:19
    I am an avid user of Overnet. I have used it with no problems for 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden my isp starts disconnecting me because they say that I am clogging the lines and using up too much bandwidth. I have a 768 KB/s connection. They have disconnected me 4 times already and I have had to call and talk with them to get it turned back on. Yesterday (Tuesday) they shut me down @ about 10:14 AM then I called them and they talked with me and I told them that I will set my sources to 35 because I set it to 45 and thats when they disconnected me. Little did I know they dropped my speed down to 128 KB/s when they turned it on. I thought that I just didn't have that many sources when I was dl. I then went and purchased a backup power supply for 82 minutes for when the power goes out and Dazzle Digital Video Creator so I can rip all of my vhs and use Dr. Divx to encode them. I returned and I opened up AIM (American Instant Messenger or something like that AOL makes it but the name is AIM so I'm not too sure what the letters stand for) My isp then dropped my connection and then when I called them they told me that they dropped my speed down to 128KB/S to see if that would fix the bandwidth problem + I had changed my sources to 35 instead of 45. This did not fix the problem they said so they cut me off. They then asked me what file sharing program that I was using and I told them Overnet. They said that they would look it up and do some research on it to see why it uses so much bandwidth.  BTW my comp is clean of ad-wear, spyware, trojans, viruses, etc. so I know that it is not any crap taking over my connection.

My isp told me not to use any file sharing programs til they tell me that it is ok. They said that it will probably be Thursday before they can upgrade their network to 10 MB/s Down because I am flooding the pipes for 2MB/S. They told me that it I use any filesharing program before they tell me that I can, they will terminate my usage permanently because of prior warning.

Can they do this and why does Overnet use so much bandwidth. Does anyone else have this problem?

What is bandwidth because I have looked it up and the definitions that I have been given haven't told me anything.

Thanks!
    DONT FREEKING STAND FOR THIS!!!!!! they cant turn your PAYED FOR bandwith. how can they say, well u cant use all of your bandwith, now id need to read the agreement but if it didnt say anything about limiting your megs or that kind of stuf then what they r doing is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!! but i asked my dad about this (he is a telecom worker, well he was) and he said that unless they said som,thing in the contract that u are limitsed to so many megs per hour or somthing around those lines then u shouldnt take this sitting down, threten to sue (after reading agreement). that will get their asses moving.
    Image Resized

this is what it looks like to have HIGH ID and not be firewalled

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    BANNED
    you tellem boss

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    thx I am going to wait to see what they say on Thursday. I can send you the contract MvM if you want to see it. It says nothing about using too much bandwidth. Also if everyone wants to look @ my service that I have its @ Texas Broadband They say that they provide high bandwidth solutions. Hah! If they say that I can't use it when I hear from them I am going to tell them that it is not in the contract and tell them that I am going to take it up with the courts as governed by the agreement since I signed a legal contract.
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    hey see this I found it on Google when I typed in 60 minutes bandwidth problems. Someone told me when I was in Best Buy that the show on CBS 60 Minutes just did a piece about isp's disconnecting people for using up too much bandwidth. Here is the story. 60 Minutes Bandwith Piece CBS