Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Destroy A Cd-r

summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    It's easy enough to get data onto a CD-R disc, but what about getting it off? What if you have old backups or other data on disc, and you're afraid that if you simply throw the disc into the trash, someone will pick it out and have access to your valuable data? Destroying CD-R media is easy and fun, and there are several ways to accomplish the task, but always keep personal safety and the environment in mind.

Remember that a CD-R consists of a clear polycarbonate disc, with dye on one side and a reflective layer on the other. If the reflective layer, the dye, or the polycarbonate is sufficiently damaged, the disc cannot be read. So, one of the easiest ways to destroy a disc is to physically damage the polycarbonate itself. Simply cut the disc in two with scissors or a paper cutter.

NEVER try to destroy a disc by bending it between your fingers in an attempt to break it. Some will bend, but not break. Some will break in two. Some, however will shatter into flying shards of polycarbonate - ouch! This is dangerous, not only to yourself, but to any spouses, children, or pets which happen to be in the immediate vicinity.

Cutting the disc into two or several pieces is a quick and easy solution, but if you are really paranoid, you have probably already guessed that those crafty folks at the CIA and the FBI can probably put this disc back together and read most of the data off of it. Recently a man was convicted of murder, partly on the basis of information contained on a floppy diskette that he thought he had destroyed by cutting it to pieces with a scissors and crumpling it up. The FBI was able, through a rather elaborate process, to reassemble that disk and retrieve the incriminating information from it. (Interestingly, he smuggled a pair of scissors into the interrogation room and the cops handed him the actual disc - and that's when he cut it up, right in front of them. How embarrassing.) CD-R is not far behind for the FBI, most likely, so leave the details of your transgressions in your head, not on a disc.

So, for the paranoid, or those whose data is truly sensitive or secret, we can move on to other levels of destruction. One effective, but not necessarily recommended, method of destroying data on a compact disc is to zap the disc in a microwave oven. It takes only a second or two to render the disc useless, as demonstrated here.

However, this method is not recommended for the general public, because it may damage the microwave, and it is unknown whether the byproducts of the meltdown may remain in the oven and subsequently contaminate any food cooked in it.

Destroying the reflective layer is effective and all too easy, as any of us who have tried to remove a sticky label from a CD well know. The reflective layer is thin and delicate. To demonstrate this, place a piece of duct tape across the top printed portion of a disc and pull it off with a quick jerk. Now you have gold- or silver-colored duct tape, and a semi-clear piece of polycarbonate. However, even if you remove all of the reflective layer, it is likely that the spooks at Langley or the sleuths in the Hoover Building could still find a way to replace the reflective layer and read data from the disc.

If you are not really concerned with security, but just want to quickly make a disc unreadable by the average person, you can destroy sector 16 of the disc. Sector 16 contains the disc's volume descriptor, and is necessary for any CD-ROM drive to be able to read the disc. How do you determine exactly where sector 16 is? Well, if you imagine the structure of the disc, you can get a good idea. Since a disc has approximately 333,000 sectors, usually a few more, but never less, and these begin at the center of the disc and move outward, sector 16 is pretty close to the center of the disc, within an eighth of an inch of the beginning of the writable area. Just take a car key or other sharp object and scratch a quarter-inch line across the beginning of the disc, on either side, or both. Now, with sector 16 unreadable, the disc is unreadable under normal circumstances, although the remaining data is still intact.

It's a little harder to destroy a pressed CD completely. Since the data, as represented by the transitions between the pits and lands on the disc, is physically stamped into the polycarbonate, removing the reflective layer still leaves the pits and lands intact. The only way to truly render a pressed CD useless is to remove the pits and lands physically from the polycarbonate. While you can buy a special CD destruction device for about $6,000 (hand operated) and the motorized version for about $11,000, the budget-conscious among us will surely opt for a cheaper solution. There are a couple of quick ways to make a pressed CD, or a CD-R for that matter, useless. Take it out to the sidewalk and throw it data side down; put your foot on top of it and rub it around for a bit. That will do the trick for most purposes. Tossing it on a belt sander has the same effect, but watch your fingers.

Sometimes we have enough trouble making CDs that it's hard to imagine wanting to destroying the results of our hard work. But there are times when data needs to be destroyed, and the methods mentioned here are only a few of the many ways to intentionally ruin a CD. Remember that there is a difference between making a disc unreadable and completely removing the data. Use the method that is appropriate for your own security purposes. Think a little and you will come up with some intriguing methods of your own. But remember: safety first!

Source: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/destroydiscs.html

OR

Recycle them:

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/cd-1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/labia.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Source:

http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/sculpture.html

Theres some more there

2. Music   -   #2
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    Take it out to the sidewalk and throw it data side down; put your foot on top of it and rub it around for a bit. That will do the trick for most purposes. Tossing it on a belt sander has the same effect, but watch your fingers.
    why didnt i think of that!?!?

nice one ::

ADDED: but i think the best idea will be to put it in the microwave for 2-3 seconds

so im gonna go out
    buy myself a £30 microwave
    make shelfs inside the microwave
    store all my CDs in there
    when i hear my street door getting broken into by SAS
    ill just turn her up on 800watts for 20secs

3. Music   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.

fkdup has his own very effective alternative: hydrochloric acid
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

4. Music   -   #4
    wow...nice idea

i have another one....grind the cds into fine particles and then wash them away into the river or sea or something
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

5. Music   -   #5
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    A Thread was made on this along time ago.Before MusicWorld.Somebody took a CD and put it in the Microwave and took Pictures.Off to find it.

6. Music   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@19 February 2004 - 08:45
    A Thread was made on this along time ago.Before MusicWorld.Somebody took a CD and put it in the Microwave and took Pictures.Off to find it.
    yeah, i remember that, but couldnt be bothered for the search

fkdup would like to remind everyone of the hazards of working with acids
    i.e., dont get the house pet near em.....

I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

7. Music   -   #7
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Ok the Thread was closed by Bender on March 17th 2003.Because it got silly.

Here are some Pictures of CDRs out of the Microwave from that Thread.....

8. Music   -   #8
    Burning/melting anything then mixing the remains will leave it unrecoverable. It will work with anything from paper to hard drive / cd-rom. I recommend doing that to anything that you don’t want to be recovered

9. Music   -   #9
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@19 February 2004 - 17:48
    Burning/melting anything then mixing the remains will leave it unrecoverable. It will work with anything from paper to hard drive / cd-rom. I recommend doing that to anything that you don’t want to be recovered
    I was about to mention a blowtorch used for cooking can very easily render a disc unrecoverable

10. Music   -   #10
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    the best way: being a scout I would know: is to mount the CD on a cardboard back, mount the cardboard on two pillars, and prepare to fire!

i will upload scans of my punctured CDs if i can get my hands on them.

try to do this when you have the chance... its really fun. plus, you get to see almost smooth bummetholes... better than glass!

another way is to put it in a microwave... but you would rish an explosion the side of a grenade if in for more than 20 secs., and the explosion would be packed with shrapnel so... do it somewhere safe...

also, witb the rifles: many rifles use lead bullets so...

lastly... this ones REALLY fun... remove the cover from an old monitor, turn it on with an input: facing AWAY FROM YOU OR THE HOUSE ! in fact, before you turn it on: take it outside, point it down with the CDs inside the tube, and THEN turn it on! by down i mean towards the ground, ON the ground, not on a skyscraper!!!

the gamma rays from the exposed tube should deform (maybe even bubble) the CDs within an hour... however it may also cause a fire so do it on a street or sidewalk. if you use this method, make sure you can safely shut the monitor off from a distance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast