Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hdd Problem.

Here is the story:

I got a Western Digital HDD for Christmas and on christmas night i tried to install it. I was switching things around when BOOM the ide cable ripped out of the black piece on the end so I had to jack around for hours with pliers trying to get it out.

I installed the hard drive not on the ATA controller card but instead as a slave on my motherboard. I can only use 137gb of this hdd. I installed using western digital data lifeguard tools. It said something along the lines ofue to Windows current limitations you will only be able to use 137GB. It also said I could use this one driver utility and it never worked. I have lots of stuff on there now is there any way that I could re-partition it to 200GB without losing data.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IF you are using windows XP, you need atleast the service pack 1 installed for it to see the full 200gb.

If you are going to us it as a master its a different story but since your using it as a slave on the controller card it should be fine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you could download partition magic 8 form kazaa lite and use it to partition th drive to two diferent partition of 100gb each and then windows should recognise each one as the full 100gb and you can put certain htings on one (like movies and mp3's) and on teh otehr put different stuff (like images, setup files and games).

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    IF you are using windows XP, you need atleast the service pack 1 installed for it to see the full 200gb.
    to the contrary, mr gemini!

however, before our friend undertakes this project, i MUST WARN him to disable indexing on the Entire hard drive! not doing so will result in a MASSIVE loss of data!

after disabling indexing, use a partition amnager to load the missing 60 gigs.

the partitioning must be accomoplished via a boot disk: not thru windows!!!!!

btw how new is your motherboard??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    i am double posting for a reason:

DISABLE FILE INDEXING!!!

DO IT <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>BEFORE YOU FREE THE 60 GIGS&#33;&#33;&#33;</span>

YOU MUST DO THIS WITH ALL VERSIONS OF WINDOWS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    You must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:

* You must have a 48-bit LBA compatible BIOS.
    * You must have a hard disk that has a capacity that is greater than 137 GB.
    * You must have Windows XP SP1 installed.

It is possible (with the correct setup configuration) to enable support for drives larger than 137GB without SP1. However, only the first 137GB are accessible. This is to allow installation on large drives when your installation disk does not include SP1.

In order to access the rest of the drive you must install SP1. But if you then increase the partition size (or create a new partition) you must not access the drive from the original installation disk. This may be the problem which Atividia is referring to, since Microsoft have no details of problems with File Indexing.

But in any case, I would always recommend disabling File Indexing before messing with partition sizes (in fact I would recommand disabling File Indexing in most cases, unless you are opening lots of files the overhead can often be excessive with very little benefit).

Additional Warning
    Make sure standby and hibernate are both disabled if you enable 48-bit LBA support. The disk buffer is not flushed before entering standby or hibernate so corruption may occur. There is a fix from microsoft, but at the moment it needs a chargeable support call.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Indexing? well i just partitoned it with windows manager. btw i have xp professional maybe that would help

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    What does indexing do exactly?

What will turning it off do/help?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@24 February 2004 - 18:37
    What does indexing do exactly?

What will turning it off do/help?
    indexing service makes an index (obviously lol) of the contents on a hard drive so that when you go use the search function in xp to find a file on teh drive it searches a lot faster. turning it off will increase performace a bit, almost as much as turning off system restore.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    So do we just right click on the drive and click properties and then UNCHECK allow indexing? right..?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast