Thread: Strange Ram Problem

Okay, so I'm building a computer for one of my friends. During installation of Windows XP I get various stop messages (0x0000008E, 0x0000007E, and 0x00000050). So far, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the RAM, which is where I'm completely stumped.

I put his RAM in my computer and vice versa and both computers worked fine. I've used DocMemory to verify the RAM. It's only when his RAM is in his computer that it gets errors out the wahzoo. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here are the specs for my comp:

Asus A7V8X-X mobo
    Geil 512MB PC-3200 RAM
    GeForce 4 Ti-4200 128MB
    Maxtor 7200RPM 60Gig

His comp:

Asus A7V8X-X mobo
    Geil 256MB PC-3200 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9200SE 256MB
    Maxtor 7200RPM 40Gig

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You could check the RAM timings on his machine - they may be set more aggressively.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That's not it, the timings are the same.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by dinofanatic@20 February 2004 - 14:43
    During installation of Windows XP I get various stop messages (0x0000008E, 0x0000007E, and 0x00000050). So far, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the RAM, which is where I'm completely stumped.

I put his RAM in my computer and vice versa and both computers worked fine. Here are the specs for my comp:

Now I'm confused.
    How can you install memory in his system and say that it works "fine" if you can't install Windows?

Have you tried taking your memory and installing it in his machine and installing Windows?
    Then switch back.
    This worked for a friend of mine just last night...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Sorry, my wording was a bit off and somewhat vague. Let me give you a more detailed explanation of what happened.

During the installation of XP, it would go to the Windows Setup screen and go through the "Setup is loading files..." and then to "Setup is starting Windows". Right after that it would give me the stop errors with 0x0000008E being the one I got most often. This was using his RAM.

When I replaced his RAM with mine, the installation went without a hitch. I put his RAM in my computer to see if anything would go wrong and nothing abnormal happened.

While his RAM was in my comp, I used DocMemory to test it and no errors were reported. I also used DocMemory to test my RAM in his comp and no errors were reported there either. It is only when his RAM is in his computer that errors are reported.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    so you guys should just trade ram, and all will be good

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    maybe it is a bad stick and its just only howing for some reason in his computer, you could try a different company, or buy more ram for yourself and sell him your own working one. try resetting the cmos thats my only idea.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok, I got it working. Apparently the stick isn't that good of quality. I underclocked it to PC-2100 (266MHz) and it's working fine now. I'm still confused as to why it's only working properly with normal setting on my comp and not his.