Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Overclocking

Originally posted by DWk@23 February 2004 - 19:33
    Even though I know I'll get LOTS of bad replies for what I'm gonna say.... benchies don't say what a computer can and cannot. If the app (game) runs fine with this and that turned on (left out on purpose), why do scores matter?

Just play the games and have fun
    DWK; what you should narrow down is the methodology of a particular benchmark and what the scoring criteria are before you make such a generalization.

I particularly like the Aquamark3 benchmark. Why? For many reasons.

I like the fact that the krass engine uses DX7, DX8, and DX9 textures whose performance is a function of the GPU's pixel and vertex shaders. If you run the benchmark, you are able to see your graphics card stressed out in different situations which integrate all three types of textures.

Therefore you can see where your card performs better and where it lags. The great thing about the comparison links is the fact that it details maximum, minimum, and average frames per second, which denote strengths and weaknesses of a card in a particular scene/environment.

I suggest you upgrade someday soon to a modern GPU which features pixel and vertex shaders so you could contribute to this discussion. I only say this to emphasize the fact the Aquamark3 and other such rigorous benchmarks test the performance of these elements of modern graphics hardware---not "value segment" hardware.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@23 February 2004 - 18:57
    Ok, look at my card speeds. My 3DMark03 only went up like almost 400 points. Aquamark went up 3000 and 3Dmark01 went up like 1000. Those speeds are alot faster, is that all the improvment i should see in benches?
    Can someone answer this please
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+23 February 2004 - 19:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 23 February 2004 - 19:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@23 February 2004 - 18:57
    Ok, look at my card speeds.&nbsp; My 3DMark03 only went up like almost 400 points.&nbsp; Aquamark went up 3000 and 3Dmark01 went up like 1000.&nbsp; Those speeds are alot faster, is that all the improvment i should see in benches?
    Can someone answer this please [/b][/quote]
    That is great big dawg. That means that, on average, a typical DX9 game that uses DX7, DX8, DX8.1, and DX9 pixel and vertex shaders will run 3 frames per second faster than without the overclocking. Those performance differences are impressive---especially considering the fact that it was a free* performance increase.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Oh, and big dawg, I am not sure you have reached your maximum overclocks either...in other words, you might be able to bring up those scores a lot more.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clear
    Last edited by SciManAl; 03-15-2006 at 04:33 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    BANNED

So you guys are at it again?

I thought this was way over. Oh well, I&#39;m gonna kindly take the time to answer you guys.

I guess cuz the better the scores the more filtering and stuff you can do...and the better for future gaming.

Where have you been latley?
    Wrong. Scores don&#39;t tell you how much anisotropic filtering (or aa or fsaa if you want to include here) your card can handle. The actual performance is what lets you know if you can handle them. For example - it doesn&#39;t matter how much I overclock my mx440 (plus - hypothetically - getting better scores), it still won&#39;t handle "good" AF or FSAA.

Does your question of where I&#39;ve been lately has something to do with what you said before, or are you just asking?

DWK; what you should narrow down is the methodology of a particular benchmark and what the scoring criteria are before you make such a generalization.

I particularly like the Aquamark3 benchmark. Why? For many reasons.

I like the fact that the krass engine uses DX7, DX8, and DX9 textures whose performance is a function of the GPU&#39;s pixel and vertex shaders. If you run the benchmark, you are able to see your graphics card stressed out in different situations which integrate all three types of textures.

Therefore you can see where your card performs better and where it lags. The great thing about the comparison links is the fact that it details maximum, minimum, and average frames per second, which denote strengths and weaknesses of a card in a particular scene/environment.

I suggest you upgrade someday soon to a modern GPU which features pixel and vertex shaders so you could contribute to this discussion. I only say this to emphasize the fact the Aquamark3 and other such rigorous benchmarks test the performance of these elements of modern graphics hardware---not "value segment" hardware.
    Regarding your 1-4 paragraphs, I totally agree. My point being is, MOST (yes....MOST) of players do not care about scores in benchies (and I&#39;m not saying this is good). Therefore, my "generalization" comes out a little vague, but fit to the regular gamer (not a hardcore OR a hardware freak..... - you get my point).

Regarding your last paragraph, I&#39;m not even gonna comment on this. It is obviously hard to get a mod to erradicate this type of behavior (specially on HW world). I&#39;m not even interested in whether you keep thinking that I don&#39;t know about cards (old AND new) or not. I simply won&#39;t waste my time trying to argue in a matter like this.

Peace

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Dwk I really appreciate you coments thats one of the reasons I saved 6 months for a new and inproved vid card Your a smart fellow don&#39;t let it bother you , some people read your coments daily you can&#39;t please them all Bud B)

edit I&#39;m an idiot I can tell a 2mb card from a 128 mb pro

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    BANNED
    Originally posted by peat moss@24 February 2004 - 21:52
    Dwk I really appreciate you coments thats one of the reasons I saved 6 months for a new and inproved vid card Your a smart fellow don&#39;t let it bother you , some people read your coments daily you can&#39;t please them all Bud B)

edit I&#39;m an idiot I can tell a 2mb card from a 128 mb pro
    Anytime, I&#39;m here to help

Oh by the way I&#39;m not bothered, it&#39;s just something that has some time going on (not on my behalf), so it gets kinda funny

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    DWk, bud, don&#39;t freak out just &#39;cause I am telling you that you should upgrade your graphics card...I am not saying anything about you personally&#33;

I think you are a cool kid, Dwk. B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    ...speaking of aquamark...

... who here gets 30+ fps on the massive overdraw part ???

that strains the hell outta my card.... i think it drops to 8-9 fps at the lowest&#33;&#33;

but then it slowly returns to 30

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast