Thread: Is This Possible?

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    basically my boss wants to turn our place into a "disco" I have a few questions for you electrical engineers or something:

1. can a pc have more than 2 speakers? if so, what do we need
    2: is it possible to wire a speaker system to the ceilin and be able to control its volume and what music plays from our recieption pc?
    3: why am I being told to do this (jk lol)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ok, first of all, yes you can have more than 2 speakers, but you will need a power amp, and preamp ( eg like a disco mixer )

you run the line out of the sound card to the disco mixer, then from the disco mixer to the power amp

then to some kick arse speakers ( not computer ones )

there is plenty of software that works like a dennon 2 ch mixer

pcdj red is my fav ( you will need to buy this if you are gunna use it for profit or you will get busted )

and there you go , depending on the size of the venue , and the amount of ppl you expect is how big a system you will need, but 400w sterio powr amp and matching speaker will do for a small disco

you will also need to get a licence to replay the music in public, here in oz its an apra licence and costs about $5000 aus a year ( if you dont get it you may end up with a $200,000 fine )

best bet for the sound system is to lease the gear from a pa company ( eg where bands get there shit from )

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    sorry I meant 2 speaker sets not 2 speakers lol or even 3 speaker sets and what not, thanks for the other info!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    My friend has his sound card running to a reciever and then to 2Boss speakers in the cieling, 2 JBL Towers, and one huge sub. His pictures fall off the wall its SO tight
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if you mean 2 or 3 sets of COMPUTER SPEAKERS then you can either buy a splitter than turns a single 3.5mm jack into 2 or 3 3.5mm jacks. Or you could buy a 4 or more channel sound card. each channel is a speaker, and a set of speakers is 2 speakers which means 2 channels. Each 3.5mm jack is 2 channels so a 4cahnnel soundcard would accomodate 2 sets of speakers, 6 channel could accomodate 3 sets of speakers and so on and so forth.

Last way to do it which is what i recomend you doing is to buy a nice soundcard and stereo with nice speakers, then get a 3.5mm-to-rca adaptor (it changes from the regular plug into the two white and red plugs that hook up to stereos or VCRs) and hook that up then you play your music and the volume is controlled from the reception deks as if it were a stereo.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    yes, all those things are very possible
    for the 2 sets of speakers if you want something simple just grab one of these from your local dollar store

what do you have for a soundcard?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate