Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will This Work?

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    i can't rma the ram. just checked. they only let you exchange. arg.
    So you found out they won't RMA the RAM?

If you found this out by asking then you had the intention to RMA it.

Isn't just having the intention is an ethical issue?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    Why not sell both and get some PC4000 memory?

Forget about those comfort blankets you call heat spreaders.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    newegg really doesnt love much money on this btw, alot of times they check it out, see that its fine, and either send it right back to you (this has been done to some people) or they will send you a similar stick now, and put your stick in the refurb section.

I think after 30 days the money back part of the warranty goes away, so now you could probably only get a replacement anyway.

Also, go ahead and sell the corsair if you are going to run your machine at its current specs, and the corsair wont run any higher than the infienion ram.

PS: Btw, does the corsair run at a 3 latency at that level?

PPS: also, nice OC on that samsung ram.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@23 February 2004 - 21:16
    newegg really doesnt love much money on this btw, alot of times they check it out, see that its fine, and either send it right back to you (this has been done to some people) or they will send you a similar stick now, and put your stick in the refurb section.

I think after 30 days the money back part of the warranty goes away, so now you could probably only get a replacement anyway.

Also, go ahead and sell the corsair if you are going to run your machine at its current specs, and the corsair wont run any higher than the infienion ram.

PS: Btw, does the corsair run at a 3 latency at that level? 

PPS: also, nice OC on that samsung ram.
    thanks. well, the samsung ram's stock is 3-4-4-8. the corsair is 2.5-4-4-8. not much difference. my comp is very stable. ran 5 continous 3dmark03's and still working fine.

Why not sell both and get some PC4000 memory?

Forget about those comfort blankets you call heat spreaders.
    wat do u mean both?? u mean the ram and vd card? y? it's running fine now. but with a 9800pro easily flashed to xt, i'm settled for bout 3-4 years. and wat's gonna increase my benchies more, the ram or the vd card? i'd say the vd card

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    wat do u mean both?? u mean the ram and vd card?
    No. I think he means the Samsung and the Corsair.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@23 February 2004 - 21:34
    wat do u mean both?? u mean the ram and vd card?
    No. I think he means the Samsung and the Corsair.
    oh. still, i'd still get better vd card. cuz there's no way that my 9600 will outperform a 9800 pro, but even my samsung ram is doing just as well as pc4000 on 875

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    I meant sell both the corsair ram and the samsung ram, and buy some pc4000 memory.

That should have a better chance of keeping you going for 3-4 years. Overclocking memory is not a good idea, it may be stable at the moment, but I can almost guarantee that won't be the case for long. You can remove the heat from the surface all you like, but there will be a weak spot somewhere and the high frequencies will seek it out,

Remember that processors are designed for very high frequencies. They may become unstable but they wont usually break down. Memory on the other hand is pretty much on the edge of stability at the frequencies used, it can and will break down if you abuse it.

In 20 years I can only remember a two processor failures out of hundreds (under normal use) but I have seen plenty of ram failures in the same period under the same conditions.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by lynx@23 February 2004 - 21:40
    I meant sell both the corsair ram and the samsung ram, and buy some pc4000 memory.

That should have a better chance of keeping you going for 3-4 years. Overclocking memory is not a good idea, it may be stable at the moment, but I can almost guarantee that won't be the case for long. You can remove the heat from the surface all you like, but there will be a weak spot somewhere and the high frequencies will seek it out,

Remember that processors are designed for very high frequencies. They may become unstable but they wont usually break down. Memory on the other hand is pretty much on the edge of stability at the frequencies used, it can and will break down if you abuse it.

In 20 years I can only remember a two processor failures out of hundreds (under normal use) but I have seen plenty of ram failures in the same period under the same conditions.
    so ur saying a pc4000 won't have these faults?

besides, i do have a 3 year warranty on this thing. and i'm not ocing these samsung rams for a while. at least, not till i really need the extra speed

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+24 February 2004 - 01:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 24 February 2004 - 01:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@23 February 2004 - 21:40

That should have a better chance of keeping you going for 3-4 years. Overclocking memory is not a good idea, it may be stable at the moment, but I can almost guarantee that won&#39;t be the case for long. You can remove the heat from the surface all you like, but there will be a weak spot somewhere and the high frequencies will seek it out,

so ur saying a pc4000 won&#39;t have these faults?

besides, i do have a 3 year warranty on this thing. and i&#39;m not ocing these samsung rams for a while. at least, not till i really need the extra speed [/b][/quote]
    I thought you said you were overclocking your ram, that&#39;s why your vdimm was 1.85V (I notice you&#39;ve changed that now).

You would not be overclocking PC4000 ram so you would not be overstressing it. Consequently it should last the course.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Ethical issues again.

You say you have a 3 year warranty on OCed RAM?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast