Thread: Pc Speed

when you click on a program to start/open, i would like to know what it is in the pc that makes a program open fast or instantly

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clear
    Last edited by SciManAl; 03-15-2006 at 04:34 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    okay, when i click on an icon on my desktop, for example internet explorer, what component is it in my pc that is loading up internet explorer. i mean as soon as i click on IE it takes about 4-5 seconds for it to be fully functional in front of me- what is it that is being used in my pc to load IE up. is it ram, the h/d the processor what? and is there anything i can add or increase to make my programs load up really quicky-instantly infact

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    get you a really fast computer with two processors lots of ram, large hard drive with plenty of hd space free, freshly defragmented, no too much other stuff running in the background, no spyware, and then you could have your instant pc. Other than that, once you start loading up that pc it will eventually slow down a bit, the more stuff the longer it takes to open, the key is a fast processor and lots of ram.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    CPU and RAM mainly, also some HDD too to locate the program.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hard drive to load the programs which are then sent to the ram and then to the cpu then onto ur screen (may not be exact order but its same idea) the hard drive does play a fairly important role in opening a program, if its slow then the info isnt fed to teh ram and processor fast enough.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    everything, as a computer can only really eb as fast as its weakest component,

likes theres no point in having a good cpu and ram and hdd, when ur mobo is crap.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by the mask@24 February 2004 - 06:58
    when you click on a program to start/open, i would like to know what it is in the pc that makes a program open fast or instantly
    if you open a prog thru a shortcut you can speed it up by adding "/prefetch:1" after the file location.......... this will give the program a speed advantage over other programs (ever wonderd why WMP loads kinda quick compared 2 how resource hoggy it is?)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by Storm@24 February 2004 - 16:12
    ever wonderd why WMP loads kinda quick compared 2 how resource hoggy it is?)
    i got rid of that big hunka junk.

also remove thing from startup that arent needed, and close unused apps when finished