Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is It Worth Paying Extra For A Amd Xp 3200

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy+24 February 2004 - 19:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy &#064; 24 February 2004 - 19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 February 2004 - 19:07
    Don&#39;t get me wrong.
    I wish I had better memory, it&#39;s definitely the factor holding me back from clocking higher than I can now, but good PC 2700 will beat budget PC 3200 (or 3500) anyday.
    i wasnt exaclty talkign budget stuff just ok stuff, igot crucial pc2700 stuff and wont boot beyond 169mhz, on standard timings, if i make the imings mor esloppy it may boot not tried it yet. i can get it running the fsb at 400 and ram at 333, but folding crashes nearly immediately. and windows follows pretty soon. [/b][/quote]
    My processor hit a wall at 183MHz, it didn&#39;t matter if I increased vcore or not. But after doing a bios update I decided to see what happened if I went straight for 200MHz. I increased vcore by about 0.05V and dived straight in. And that&#39;s how it is running now, not a single glitch.

I suspect there are problems with chipset timing at intermediate frequencies, try going for a big jump and see what happens. I suggest just booting with a Wub98 or ME startup disk at first, if that&#39;s ok go for the normal boot. If you&#39;ve got half decent cooling you won&#39;t cause any probs until you start running flat out, but by that time you should be able to monitor temps.

Edit: New cooling coming tomorrow (120mm mm fan and adapter to fit my copper based heatsink), so I may try lowering vcore a notch seeing I&#39;ve got to shut it down anyway.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i cant increase the vcore on my board, ill see if there is a bios update, i have the stock cooler. it boots but very unstable.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    See edit above.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@24 February 2004 - 22:35
    See edit above.
    well let me knwo how u get on with the lower vcore then, i was thinking of upgrading my board and to pc3200 memory anyway, depending on mhow much cash i have.

my current board was onyl £37 biostar m7ncd

edit: i was also maybe gonna get a aero7 lite cooler, and im gonna sort out my case coolign better soon, maybe even tomorrow

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    Do what I do - upgrade someone&#39;s pc for them, buy some nice new 3200 mem and stick the 2700 mem in their machine - as long as you pick someone who won&#39;t even think of overclocking they won&#39;t know the difference.

I get rid of all sorts of stuff this way. I charge them the current price for what they are getting, not what I paid for it when it was much nearer cutting edge stuff. But the people I&#39;m doing it for get the performance they wanted so everyone is happy.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@24 February 2004 - 22:54
    Do what I do - upgrade someone&#39;s pc for them, buy some nice new 3200 mem and stick the 2700 mem in their machine - as long as you pick someone who won&#39;t even think of overclocking they won&#39;t know the difference.

I get rid of all sorts of stuff this way. I charge them the current price for what they are getting, not what I paid for it when it was much nearer cutting edge stuff. But the people I&#39;m doing it for get the performance they wanted so everyone is happy.
    Nice

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@24 February 2004 - 15:08
    I should have gotten PC3500 prob...cuz when I put the FSB at 210 (420) which would be 2310Mhz...It dont seem to work right at all...I dont even leave it on long enough to check the temps, but I think its the ram. I guess I could loosen the timings (2-2-2-5) and try it again... I wish I could just unlock the multiplier
    Do yall think the problem is the RAM?

Also, nForce 2 boards support 400Mhz FSB. If I go to like 420Mhz FSB, will that mess it up?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+24 February 2004 - 18:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 24 February 2004 - 18:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@24 February 2004 - 15:08
    I should have gotten PC3500 prob...cuz when I put the FSB at 210 (420) which would be 2310Mhz...It dont seem to work right at all...I dont even leave it on long enough to check the temps, but I think its the ram.&nbsp; I guess I could loosen the timings (2-2-2-5) and try it again...&nbsp; I wish I could just unlock the multiplier

Also, nForce 2 boards support 400Mhz FSB. If I go to like 420Mhz FSB, will that mess it up? [/b][/quote]
    well it wont really mess it up if it has proper cooling, but you are overclocking it since its designed to go at 400 and ur doing 420, just like a cpu is designed for whatever speed and ur runing it at a higher speed, and same for ram too. so the chipset is getting just as stressed as the ram and cpu.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+24 February 2004 - 22:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 24 February 2004 - 22:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@24 February 2004 - 15:08
    I should have gotten PC3500 prob...cuz when I put the FSB at 210 (420) which would be 2310Mhz...It dont seem to work right at all...I dont even leave it on long enough to check the temps, but I think its the ram.&nbsp; I guess I could loosen the timings (2-2-2-5) and try it again...&nbsp; I wish I could just unlock the multiplier

Also, nForce 2 boards support 400Mhz FSB. If I go to like 420Mhz FSB, will that mess it up? [/b][/quote]
    Have you tried increasing vdimm?

For example, if it is stable at 209 and unstable at 210, increasing vdimm will probably make it stable again. You should also loosen the timings as well to see if that helps. If it doesn&#39;t come stable then it is unlikely (but not impossible) that you have a ram problem.

Of course, if it does then you are probably right about getting faster ram in the first place.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    sweet ill get the 2500xp and oc it to 3200 speeds...hopefully.....

planning on going thru it more detailed with bigdawg on messenger

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast