Thread: Printing

Poster
    i have a home network setup with 3 computers. my main computer has a firewall and the other two do not ave firewalls. i was wondering if it is possible to print off of the main computer thru the other computers without having to disable the firewal everytime?

Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
    We all seek peace, but few of us will ever find it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i think you gotta unblock ports 445, 135, 136, 137, and 138.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    k thanx ill give it a try

Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
    We all seek peace, but few of us will ever find it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    That is not actually a good idea, you will be opening your machine to attack from outside through those ports. You should be able to permit access to certain IP addresses or ranges of addresses instead.

If your home network does not have direct access to the internet, you can permit access to everything with addresses on your home network.

Alternatively if you have a router which is giving out addresses to your home network, you can permit access to addresses in the range given out by your router.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@24 February 2004 - 20:11
    That is not actually a good idea, you will be opening your machine to attack from outside through those ports. You should be able to permit access to certain IP addresses or ranges of addresses instead.

If your home network does not have direct access to the internet, you can permit access to everything with addresses on your home network.

Alternatively if you have a router which is giving out addresses to your home network, you can permit access to addresses in the range given out by your router.
    could you open everything from 192.168.*.* ?? or would that let otehrs with 192.168.xxx.xxx form outside in although those arent there internet ip's?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you limit it to those addresses which are used by your home network (on your side of a router) then the router will not send any responses back to the internet so you will be quite safe. If you use the full 192.168.*.* range you risk the possibility that your router will try to send some back. But other routers on the internet would not know where to send them so you should still be ok.

The same is true for the range 10.*.*.* (and there is a class B network too but I can't remember the range of that one).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.