Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set Up A Broadband Network

how do i link 2 pc's together will i need 2 of these or only 1

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=39120

or will i need 2 of these or just 1

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=39171

or none or a mizture.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You only need one router, check your help files under network connections, it even gives you pics to go by. Depending on which setup you choose the number of network cards can be different, but they are alot cheaper than the router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have a network sharing broadband between 3 pcs in my house, I have a pc in my room that shares the connection from downstairs in my study...

The thing i cannot work is that i cannot send files through MSN messenger OR Dcc send them through Mirc...

Does any1 know how i can solve this problem??

Any help would be appreciated

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by wizzandabe@6 March 2003 - 21:52
    how do i link 2 pc's together will i need 2 of these or only 1

or none or a mizture.
    I cannot be bothered looking at these links, so I will just answer the question, as I understand it.

If you want to share a broadband connection between various computers the best way to do it is by using a router. It can be done using one of the PCs but that isn't worth the bother.

Get a router. Connect it to your cable modem (it isn't actually a modem, but most people call it that so it's simpler) then connect your PCs to the router. It really is that simple. The router shares the bandwidth betwen the PCs. It also acts as a hardware NAT firewall. It is the ideal solution.

My particular network uses PCs connected to the router by cables. In addition to a wireless connection for the bosses laptop. So she can do the browsing thing anywhere she wants.

If I can set it up then anyone can. I am a total luddite.

If I didn't understand the question then please accept my apologies. The apple is strong with me.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Your ISP has to assign additional IP's for every extra computer (usually at a cost). Contact your ISP for details.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Supernatural@8 March 2003 - 10:18
    Your ISP has to assign additional IP's for every extra computer (usually at a cost). Contact your ISP for details.
    Not where I come from.

There is a dynamic IP for the modem. The router deals with requests from the machines. There is only one connection to the WAN, but three on the LAN. Each of the PCs behaves as if it were connected directly.

There is no additional charge, all they are supplying me with is bandwidth on a single IP. I chose to share that locally. In all honesty we cannot tell when someone else is using the connection, because there is spare bandwidth any.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by JmiF+7 March 2003 - 01:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 7 March 2003 - 01:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--wizzandabe@6 March 2003 - 21:52
    how do i link 2 pc&#39;s together will i need 2 of these or only 1

or none or a mizture.
    I cannot be bothered looking at these links, so I will just answer the question, as I understand it.

If you want to share a broadband connection between various computers the best way to do it is by using a router. It can be done using one of the PCs but that isn&#39;t worth the bother.

Get a router. Connect it to your cable modem (it isn&#39;t actually a modem, but most people call it that so it&#39;s simpler) then connect your PCs to the router. It really is that simple. The router shares the bandwidth betwen the PCs. It also acts as a hardware NAT firewall. It is the ideal solution.

My particular network uses PCs connected to the router by cables. In addition to a wireless connection for the bosses laptop. So she can do the browsing thing anywhere she wants.

If I can set it up then anyone can. I am a total luddite.

If I didn&#39;t understand the question then please accept my apologies. The apple is strong with me. [/b][/quote]
    I have been unable to do thid no matter how gard i&#39;ve tried
    and yes the apple is strong in you

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    you say cables. what type. and how do i connect it to the pc. will i still need my adsl modem. (bt voyager adsl usb)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I have five PC&#39;s using my broadband connection. All pcs of course use a hub. What i did was install 2 NIC (network cards) into one pc. This saves money on a router. Anyway, leave one network card connected to your modem as a static (no information). Now set up your network card first (the second one in your pc)

give it a number such as: 192.168.0.1 and the Subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0 (It will fill that out automatically however).

Now for the second person, they will need to repeat the process by right clicking on "my network places" then right clicking and selecting properties on the icon that represents your network card. Then click on the internet protocol for TCP/IP then you get to the same place again.

this time give the second pc the number 192.168.0.2 (everytime you add a new pc change the very last number by one). Add the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 again, but this time you have to add a gateway. so where it says "default gateway" just add the persons IP (192.168.0.1) who has the modem connected to them, and do the same for "preffered dns server" as well.

Now sharing the internet across the networks (this is with XP) is extremely easy, just right click on the network properties for the network card that represents the one the modem is connected to and follow these instructions

1. right click on the network card which represents your pc and select properties.
    2. select the advanced tab
    3. click the check box beside the text "allow other network users to connect through this computer&#39;s internet connection" (make sure u don&#39;t have it to allow others to change ur intenet settings)

this is a very badly and quickly written explanation, if you would like me to make it better with pictures to illustrate what I mean then i shall.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I have five PC&#39;s using my broadband connection. All pc&#39;s of course use a hub. What i did was install 2 NIC (network cards) into one pc. This saves money on a router. Anyway, leave one network card connected to your modem as a static (no information). Now set up your network card first (the second one in your pc)

give it a number such as: 192.168.0.1 and the Subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0 (It will fill that out automatically however).

Now for the second person, they will need to repeat the process by right clicking on "my network places" then right clicking and selecting properties on the icon that represents your network card. Then click on the internet protocol for TCP/IP then you get to the same place again.

this time give the second pc the number 192.168.0.2 (everytime you add a new pc change the very last number by one). Add the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 again, but this time you have to add a gateway. so where it says "default gateway" just add the persons IP (192.168.0.1) who has the modem connected to them, and do the same for "preffered dns server" as well.

Now sharing the internet across the networks (this is with XP) is extremely easy, just right click on the network properties for the network card that represents the one the modem is connected to and follow these instructions

1. right click on the network card which represents your pc and select properties.
    2. select the advanced tab
    3. click the check box beside the text "allow other network users to connect through this computer&#39;s internet connection" (make sure u don&#39;t have it to allow others to change ur intenet settings)

this is a very badly and quickly written explanation, if you would like me to make it better with pictures to illustrate what I mean then i shall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast