Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Overclock

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Is that 50°c at idle or full load, Lynx?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's full load (I would be tearing my hair out if it was idle), and it has crept up to 52C now.

Tried it at 1.70V nominal and immediately started getting problems with folding. Everything appears to be ok at 1.75V though.

My ram bandwidth appears to have dropped though, it doesn't seem to make any difference if I use 3-3-3-8 or 3-3-3-11.

Paused folding to test mem bandwidth, temp has dropped to 46C in about 1 minute and still going down.

I think I'll try pushing it a little further to see what I can get out of it, but I will probably drop back to 2.2GHz as a permanent setting.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yeah, it's fun to see how high you can go, but even the most avid clocker would be foolhardy to run on the ragged edge as a matter of course.

Judging from your avatar, you haven't much hair left to ravage....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Were he still alive, Mr Milligan would have been most upset by that suggestion. He actually had a very good head of hair (unlike me) but it had turned very light in colour. One of our greatest comedians, IMO.

Temp seems to have levelled off at 52C, Folding seems quite happy (been going about an hour now). I'll leave it like this until the morning, then give it the next nudge upwards. At least I know I can drop down and run at about 47C with slightly more conservative settings. And I have to consider what might happen when the weather gets warmer.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I have it running at 210X11 (2300) so 420Mhz FSB and full load at 46C.

I want to up it more but my 400Mhz ram is at 420Mhz and my chipset is getting stressed ALOT (i think)...I really need to unlock the CPU...

The cpu seems to be unlocked.

When I change the multi and the speed, it DOES change the stuff...and leaves the Multi changed to 13 or w/e...the only problem is that when i right click on my computer and click properties..instead of having it at like 2340Mhz...which I would set it at..it would be set at like 2160 or something....so its WIERD..but seems to be unlocked..
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    I tried changing the multiplier in bios the other day, but it did not seem to have any effect. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that AMD have blocked whatever Asus were doing, so although the bios says it has changed you have still got the default multiplier.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    you may know this or not, but if u had some pc3500 in there u would def. get it higher. yeah, i'v heard some really good things about those 2500's. all for $90 at that!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by lynx@26 February 2004 - 14:43
    I tried changing the multiplier in bios the other day, but it did not seem to have any effect. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that AMD have blocked whatever Asus were doing, so although the bios says it has changed you have still got the default multiplier.
    and also, depends on how old that 2500 is. amd started locking them cuz of what ur saying and yes, no matter what ur bios says it will still be locked. unless u know how to unlock the chip by connecting the circuits on top of chip together to unlock it. (something like that)
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    All the new chips except FX51 are locked, including Bartons, Durons and Thorougbreds. No-one has found ANY way to unlock them so far including wire tricks, jumping bridges etc.

Only processors made before week 35 of 2003 are unlocked. For about the next 7 weeks after that some were locked, some were unlocked. After that all were locked except for a few in week 46.

Source

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by lynx@26 February 2004 - 21:32
    All the new chips except FX51 are locked
    Lucky me eh?

I don't really see why I'd need to OC this thing yet though...

Anyway why are you ocing? A 2500+ is easily enough for every app nowadays, and OCing can have negative effects on your chip. Unless you want to fold faster, I don't see why as yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast