Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Temps Jumped Up Higher Again :(

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    today when i installed my fan speed controller that i made, i also started to clean up my wires a bit more, some being the ide cables. the hard drive one was kinda hard to move around and got stuck a few times but i finally got it moved out of the way of my intake fans. after botting up the first time i got the message saying that ntldr was missing so i though resetting the cmos might help, it didnt and after a few minutes of inspecting the insides of teh computer i realized it was the ide cable that was bad and replaced it with a longer one i had lying around. Now windows boots fine but my temps have become higher. Im not to certain what happened. I thought maybe something happened to the heatsync but i looked at it fan is running (all fans are running) and i tried cleanign it off and putting on new arctic silver but same temps ars before. they are at 49c right now. I used to have nice temps around 35idle. I looked in the bios but could not find any settings different from before i reset the cmos, so my only idea is that for some reason it has changed my cpu voltage, which i cannot change from the bios. i do not have any options.

is 1.76v normal for my processor? its thoroughbred core athlon xp 2200+. This is all so wierd, it doesnt make sense how my temps could have gotten so much higher, all of my fans are running exactly how they were before so this has nothing to do with my speed controller. any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    did u turn the heat on? maybe u were cold?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    nope.

i think the motherboard changed my voltage or something, what should the voltage be for my processor? that might be why it is so high, oh and it isnt overclocked at all its running the right speeds.

edit: i just checked the amd website (it wasnt working last night) and it says mine should be at 1.75, mines at 1.76. that wouldnt make any difference would it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    is it hotter in your room, an increase in room temp by 2 deg c will increace case temp and chip temp by as much as 10 deg c ,

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The 1.76 volts is correct. That's not the cause.

Maybe the settings were wrong before the reset? (underclocked)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Vcore is most definitely wrong.

Without knowing the exact designation of your processor it is impossible to say what the correct voltage should be.

The order code on your chip will be something like:

AXD A 2200 D K V 3 C

The letter in the position of the K is the Vcore designation

L=1.50V
    U=1.60V
    K=1.65V

Palomino chips run at higher voltages (about 1.75V) but the maximum standard voltage for Thoroughbreds is 1.65V.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@26 February 2004 - 13:24
    Vcore is most definitely wrong.

Without knowing the exact designation of your processor it is impossible to say what the correct voltage should be.

The order code on your chip will be something like:

AXD A 2200 D K V 3 C

The letter in the position of the K is the Vcore designation

L=1.50V
    U=1.60V
    K=1.65V

Palomino chips run at higher voltages (about 1.75V) but the maximum standard voltage for Thoroughbreds is 1.65V.
    before i said my chip was a palamino, but after checking on the amd site i realized it is actually a thoroughbred as there is no palamino 2200+ so i edited my first post.

but these voltages are wierd, it is running at the voltage of a palamino cored cpu while it is actually thoroughbred.

lynx where can i find the order code? i dont have the original packaging as i was never given it, is it on teh cpu itself? i knkda hope not since im running out of arctic silver.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    here is a picture of my 'dashboard' in motherboard monitor:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Yes, it is actually on the chip, but most Thoroughbreds have the K rating.

Does your bios allow you to change Vcore? If so, and that isn't the minimum setting, then the solution is obvious, and you can certainly reduce the voltage to 1.65 without checking the chip.

I've got exactly the opposite problem on a pc I'm building with an XP2400. I'm pretty sure the chip has a K voltage rating, but the mobo is only supplying 1.58V. This may explain why I was having problems in Folding with this mobo. But so far I can't find any way to increase Vcore on that mobo.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@26 February 2004 - 18:02
    Yes, it is actually on the chip, but most Thoroughbreds have the K rating.

Does your bios allow you to change Vcore? If so, and that isn't the minimum setting, then the solution is obvious, and you can certainly reduce the voltage to 1.65 without checking the chip.

I've got exactly the opposite problem on a pc I'm building with an XP2400. I'm pretty sure the chip has a K voltage rating, but the mobo is only supplying 1.58V. This may explain why I was having problems in Folding with this mobo. But so far I can't find any way to increase Vcore on that mobo.
    no i dont have any vcore options or overclocking options at all. its just a cheap motherboard that offers okey performace but limits features.

what kind of board did u buy ur friend? is it an ECS? i hope u didnt buy one, if u did return it they're crap. i wish i had known how bad it was when i bought it, i would have returned it in an instant.

does anybody know if there are any software programs to change voltage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast