Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Icons Changed Automatically

for some reasons my file icons have changed to something else! is there any way i can bring back the original icons of the files back?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    which file icons, all of them, mpr, avi, txt, xls, need more info

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    if you installed new software (video, image editor, etc) it's possible they "stole" the file type. You can reclaim it to the default by open windows explorer > tools > folder options > file types > locate file type and click on restore..if not, choose the program you'd prefer it be opened with.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by backlash@26 February 2004 - 17:17
    if you installed new software (video, image editor, etc) it's possible they "stole" the file type. You can reclaim it to the default by open windows explorer > tools > folder options > file types > locate file type and click on restore..if not, choose the program you'd prefer it be opened with.
    that didn't work at all ,

only avi file icons have changed, i installed the new codec pack last night, i think this might be the main cause of the problem!

anyway i still require the solution!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    what program are the avi files opening in, and what program do you want them to open with

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by mEtho@26 February 2004 - 13:33
    that didn't work at all ,

only avi file icons have changed, i installed the new codec pack last night, i think this might be the main cause of the problem!

anyway i still require the solution!!!
    When you open them does it still open with the right software? you said you updated codecs, if it still opens w/ the same software then a new icon could have just been part of the update. can you show a pic of the icon? maybe take a screenshot?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    my avi files opens with WMP and they still open with the right software, its just the icons have changed,

there should be some alternatives to fix that problem,

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    What OS are you using?
    I know you can download icon packs if you dont like them, or I'm sure there is a way to change the icons back anyway, there should be with XP at least
    I'll look into it when I got home
    Cheers
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    if they open in winamp and you want them to open in media play do this:

Open Windows Media Player
    Then go to Tools and click on Options
    Go to the File Types Tab
    Make sure there is a check mark on Windows Video File (avi)
    Click on apply
    Click on OK

You may have to restart your computer for the icons to refresh and it will change the avi icon to look like media play.

You should tell us what the other program is you want to get it to change to so we can help better.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by firefox@26 February 2004 - 18:47
    if they open in winamp and you want them to open in media play do this:

Open Windows Media Player
    Then go to Tools and click on Options
    Go to the File Types Tab
    Make sure there is a check mark on Windows Video File (avi)
    Click on apply
    Click on OK

You may have to restart your computer for the icons to refresh and it will change the avi icon to look like media play.

You should tell us what the other program is you want to get it to change to so we can help better.
    Cheers

that worked perfectly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast