Thread: Cd-rw

ok, i have been looking into these the disks to store data. i have a cd-rewriter and want to burn movies onto disks which i can erase at some point and then burn something else on there. as far as my research takes me that means i need CD-RW, the only thing is i didnt understand the bit where it says you can only use it 2x and 4x- does this mean speeds or i can only use it 2 times and 4 times, anyway i was looking at the RITEK website. please clarify all this business for me before i go buying anything. oh, and not just CD-RW's but the normal ones aswell. thank you

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    2x and 4x refers to speeds. You can get CD-RWs up to 12x or possible faster, but that's no good if your burner can't go to that speed.

CD-RWs are slow and expensive compared to CD-Rs. If you buy in bulk you can get CD-Rs for such low prices that it is not worth the time you would waste waiting for a CD-RWs to burn. If you really don't want to keep what you've burnt simply throw the disk away.

I pay about £15 per hundred without cases, I'm sure you should be able to get them for a similar price wherever you come from, or a little more if you buy them in 25's.

Cases are about £10 per hundred here, but I rarely use them. I prefer plastic sleeves at £2.25 per hundred, or a 240 capacity wallet for about £8.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What burner do you have?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    how do i found out what burner i have, i do know its sony, and i do know its 48x

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think that's enough info. I suspect VB wanted to know the max burn speed.

At 48x, it will take about 2 mins to burn a full CD-R (including what is known as preamble and postamble).

At 4x it will take about 20 mins to burn a full CD-RW (inc pre/post amble).
    Plus about 2 mins to do a quick erase before the next burn or 20 mins to perform a secure erase.

If your burner supports them, at 12x it will take about 7 mins to burn a full CD-RW (inc pre/post amble), about 1 min for a quick erase, about 7 mins for a secure erase.

4x CD-RWs can be bought for about £4 for 10.
    12x CD-RWs cost about £7.50 for 10.
    52x CD-Rs cost about £15 for 100.

It's down to you. After all, it is your burner doing the work, so if you are not in that much of a hurry go for CD-RW. Try a small number of each, and continue with the ones you find you prefer.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    just one last question, which one of these disks has most capacity

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by the mask@27 February 2004 - 17:54
    just one last question, which one of these disks has most capacity
    most cd-r's these days are 700mb but ive seen some 650mb ones too. CD-RWs come in lots of sizes but the most popular ones ive seen are 530mb i think...something around 500.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

There are also 700MB rewriteables.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@27 February 2004 - 18:55

There are also 700MB rewriteables.
    well now ive seen everything