Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Thingymabob

Keikan's Avatar ........
    You know when there's a thunder storm or a power faliure some people buy those weird power things (I dunno what they are called) Should I get one?

WTF? MY lights just almost died......
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i believe its call a surge protector , and yes buy one, get the one that has 2 phone connections on it as well, as this also protects you from surge down your phone line.

you wont need the phone one if you got cable, as electricity dont flow down optical fiber lol

you can get them as a double adaptor, a power board , or even get your whole house done at the power board too

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Yes, you definately should buy a surge protector.
    When I originally brought my PC, I got a surge protector the same day and used it ever since.

I wouldn't even think of risking my precious hardware by not having one between my PC and the big bad world.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

UPS Battery Backup & Protection for Home Computers.

This might be what you're looking for. In most cases these are not needed for home use but if you have cash to burn... :-"

And oh yeah, a surge protector is a must.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i dont have a surge protector. if there was a surge in my house what parts of my computer would be wrecked. all of it? just the power supply?

and if i buy one ow many joules should it be rated?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if you get a surge down your power line, your whole pc will die mobo everything, plus anything else in your house thats plugged into a power outlet

thats why they say to unplug electrical apps during a thunder storm

just buy a standard power board with a surge protector on it,its will have enough balls to look after your comp , ( if that is what you asking about joules)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 February 2004 - 07:58
    i dont have a surge protector. if there was a surge in my house what parts of my computer would be wrecked. all of it? just the power supply?

I have seen some that only burn out the motherboard, but I have seen some that burn out the whole thing. There was actually burn marks on all the equipment, the memory actually melted too.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    so how many joules?

edit: i see you said to get the whole lectrical box surge protector but wouldnt that be really really expensive? plus we'd have to call in an electrician (im gonna be an electrician when i am older )

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I've been thinking of buying one.
    While reading this thread I remembered a story in the newspaper a couple of years ago, in which a every house in two streets had a power surge and all electrical equipment(TV's, games consoles, kitchen appliances) were ruined. This happened in the next street to me, so I think it would be wise for me to get one.

Luckily my work sells them, so i'll be able to get a staff discount

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 February 2004 - 12:58

I've seen various effects ranging from just the PS up to just about every piece of equipment directly connected to the PS - HDD, CD, mobo and of course the PS itself. It really depends on how bad it is and how the PS handles it.

I suspect the one I just mentioned put the excess power up the 12V line. If it went up the 5V or 3.3V line I think it could blow the cpu, memory and any cards plugged in too.

Get one of those power strips with a built in surge protector. Even the biggest aren't that expensive, probably less than a good PS.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast